[comp.sys.atari.st] MIDI software for Atari ST

sgrimm@sun.com (Steven Grimm) (09/13/89)

I bought a Yamaha PSR-47 keyboard yesterday, just to play around with some
basic musicmaking.  I'd really like to drive the thing from my Atari ST,
too; can anyone recommend good software?  If there's a public domain program,
please submit it to comp.binaries.atari.st so I can take a look.  (I'm sort
of surprised there isn't something in the archive already -- with built-in
MIDI ports, the Atari seems a natural candidate for good PD music software...)
I'm willing to pay for a good program, too, so don't be shy about recommending
your favorite commercial software.  So far the only thing I've found to drive
the synth is "Marble Madness," so I guess I've found that program's single
redeeming feature ( :-) -- I wish they'd spent half the time on the ST version
as they did on the Amiga one, but that's another article...)

Followups directed to comp.sys.atari.st.

---
This message is a figment of your imagination.  Any opinions are yours.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
sgrimm@sun.com		...!sun!sgrimm

folkert@neabbs.UUCP (FOLKERT VAN HEUSDEN) (09/15/89)

Out 1,data
data=inp(1)
Ready=inp?(1)
This is for GFA-BASIC V2.0
Folkert
        van
            Heusden

walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) (09/15/89)

In article <34269@grapevine.uucp> sgrimm@sun.com (Steven Grimm) writes:
>I bought a Yamaha PSR-47 keyboard yesterday, just to play around with some
>basic musicmaking.  I'd really like to drive the thing from my Atari ST,
>too; can anyone recommend good software?  If there's a public domain program,
>please submit it to comp.binaries.atari.st so I can take a look.  (I'm sort
>of surprised there isn't something in the archive already -- with built-in
>MIDI ports, the Atari seems a natural candidate for good PD music software...)
>I'm willing to pay for a good program, too, so don't be shy about recommending
>your favorite commercial software.  So far the only thing I've found to drive
>the synth is "Marble Madness," so I guess I've found that program's single
>redeeming feature ( :-) -- I wish they'd spent half the time on the ST version
>as they did on the Amiga one, but that's another article...)

I dink around with Music Studio and a Casio MT-240 keyboard.  It's a nice
program and uses musical notation to represent the notes.  You can put music
in relatively painlessly, as many have done already.  The program works
well and there are quite a few song files available out there.  It's
kind of fun to watch the notes drift across the screen as they are
played on the synth.  Music Studio also offers a rudimentary MIDI input
feature that approximates the length of the notes played.  Altogether, it's
not bad for something in the $50 range.  Audio Light, the makers of Music
Studio, also make a PD player version but you really need the official
version or something to edit the song files because most of the songs are
written for the Casio CZ-101 synths.

There are a few PD MIDI programs available in Public Domain and
Internet.  They are not much and I wish there were more available.  The
local user's group has some programs in it's archives plus a large
array of Music Studio song files.  I guess I could dump some of these
files to an archive or comp.binaries while people with GENIE or
Compu$erve access could perhaps round up a few choice programs as well
(hint, hint).

Brian Walker, University of Colorado at Boulder
walkerb@tramp.colorado.edu     ...!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!tramp!walkerb
DISCLAIMER:  The university does not know half the things I say or post and
would very much like to keep it that way.

waal@cwi.nl (Peter de Waal) (09/15/89)

In article <34269@grapevine.uucp> sgrimm@sun.com (Steven Grimm) writes:
>I bought a Yamaha PSR-47 keyboard yesterday, just to play around with some
>basic musicmaking.  I'd really like to drive the thing from my Atari ST,
>too; can anyone recommend good software?

I can recommend Steinberg's Twelve sequencer. It's supposed to be a stripped
down version of their PRO-24. It has 12 tracks and you can compose a song in
pieces (called patterns). Basically each pattern has a track (just like on a
tape deck) and a MIDI channel assigned to it, plus a begin and end position.
You can play back a song in either track mode, i.e. like an open reel
tapedeck, or you can use one of the available tracks as a sequencer track,
where you can glue different patterns together to make a song. This allows
you to have e.g. one pattern repeated as the chorus of the song.  Input of
notes can be done either by a MIDI keyboard or mousewise on an edit screen.
The latter is done by putting notes on a musicscore.  Lots of copy, cut and
paste functions are available.  The song files are compatible with the ones
used by PRO-24, so you can still use them when you ever want to upgrade to
PRO. (You get a discount coupon with the program for the upgrade, but I'm
satisfied with 12 for now.) The song files can thus also be used by
Masterscore (I'm not sure this is the right name?) to be printed on whatever
printer you have.

Differences with PRO-24 are:
-Twelve can only record sysex and controller messages from a keyboard, you
 can't edit them. You can, however, put program and volume changes in a
 track, so you can have your computer select the right voice to play back a
 song.
-Twelve has only 12 tracks (as opposed to 24 in PRO).
-Twelve comes on a non-copyprotected disc. No hardware key needed in you
 cartridge port.

I don't know which resolutions it runs on, but since this is not mentioned in
the manual I suppose a colour monitor is no problem (I use it on a
monochrome system)

The best thing of all is: it costs only Dfl. 99 (~US$ 46)

#include <disclaimer.h>
I don't have anything to do with Steinberg apart from being a satisfied
customer.

#  Peter de Waal, Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Amsterdam.	#
#  email: waal@cwi.nl							#