[comp.sys.atari.st] Word Perfect 4.1 bug

UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET (jeff beer) (09/17/89)

I have been having this problem with Word Perfect 4.1.  I am working on
a file of about 70K, and it seems to have problems with the length.
Sometimes when I save it, it doesnt get save, and then inside the edit
buffer, the end of it gets mangled.  Sometimes it gets truncated, other
times the last few pages get rewritten at the end.

I am working on my master's thesis, so this is a royal pain in the
dairy air.   I havent called Word Perfect yet, will probably do it monday.
But has anyone else heard of this?

Jeff Beer, Chicago Il.

root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) (09/17/89)

In article <8909162233.AA17831@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET (jeff beer) writes:
>I have been having this problem with Word Perfect 4.1.  I am working on
>a file of about 70K, and it seems to have problems with the length.
>Sometimes when I save it, it doesnt get save, and then inside the edit
>buffer, the end of it gets mangled.  Sometimes it gets truncated, other
>times the last few pages get rewritten at the end.

A new version of Word Perfect has just been released for the ST.  It
fixes some bugs and also has some new features such as allowing you to
use GEM file selector boxes in places where you previously had to type
file names.  I don't know about the bug you are experiencing, but it
might go away.  One question though -- do you have 70K free on your
disk when you write the file?  You may be having disk-full problems.

| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

close@cacilj.UUCP (Diane Barlow Close) (09/18/89)

In article <8909162233.AA17831@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET (jeff beer) writes:
>I have been having this problem with Word Perfect 4.1.  I am working on
>a file of about 70K, and it seems to have problems with the length.
>Sometimes when I save it, it doesnt get save, and then inside the edit
>buffer, the end of it gets mangled.  Sometimes it gets truncated, other
>times the last few pages get rewritten at the end.

Well something went wrong with my first posting (only the .sig got out), so
I'll try again:

This is a known and documented bug having something to do with virtual
files.  It was discovered it many, many months ago.  It has been reported to
WordPerfect and it has been fixed IN THE LATEST VERSION.  This bug only
occurs in the 1988 version.  But, if you report having problems with this
bug, you will get the 1989 version sent to you FREE (otherwise you will have
to pay WordPerfect $17.50 to ``upgrade'' to the 1989 version).
--
Diane Barlow Close
      {uunet, crash, ucsd}!cacilj!close