[comp.sys.atari.st] TT speed facts

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/15/89)

Since my mail to Ronald Lamprecht seems to have bounced, I'm posting
this note from Richard Miller to the net in hopes that it will reach
him.  It may be interesting to other people who have been following the
recent wave of TT information as well.

--

Hello, Ronald!

I'm forwarding this message to you from Richard Miller, V.P. of Research
and Development for Atari:

================

I noticed your comments on TT, and I would like to clear up some points:

1. The bus bandwidth of the TT is not 2 MHz.  It is approximately sixteen
megabytes per second.  On the ST, it is four megabytes per second.

2. The TT at Dusseldorf had an A24/D16 VME bus.  A future model TT will
have several A32/D32 bus slots.

3. We have seen performance improvements up to a factor of seventeen on
TT as compared to ST.  The better bus bandwidth immediately gives a
factor of four, but that does not take into account the cache, the FPU,
or the more efficient 68030 instructions.

I sincerely hope you will choose the TT as your "next machine".  I know
that if you used one, you would want to keep it!

Regards,
Richard Miller
V.P. of Research and Development
Atari Corp.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (09/18/89)

In article <1696@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

> I sincerely hope you will choose the TT as your "next machine".  I know
> that if you used one, you would want to keep it!
>
> Regards,
> Richard Miller
> V.P. of Research and Development
> Atari Corp.
> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

	Yes, Ken and Richard, the TT seems Great!!

	And I have a Great local ATari Delaer (Computer Works of Glendale AZ).

	So, *WHEN* will I be able to *buy* a TT.

	Ken, or Richard, or whoever: I saw an article in the Sunday edition
of the Phoenix newspaper about a small VCR sized PC portable made by a startup
company up in Silly Valley. I believe that it was called 'Poquet'. It sells for
about $995. Do you know anything about it?? Hows it it compete with the Atari
Portfolio??

	Also, I hear that the Ninetendo (ugh gag gasp) Gameboy is already out.
How is the Atari Lynz (or whatever it is called today!!) coming??

	Well, keep up the good work.. have fun.

richard(sts 4ever) covert