[comp.sys.atari.st] Dumas encoding

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (09/14/89)

In article <890913.23403949.035003@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:

>                For some reason, the DUMAS encoder which I downloaded
>from Panarthea produces different results than what the net produces.
>    Observe a beginning portion of the actual encoded DUMAS program:
>
>begin 644 dumasuux.arc
>M&@A5540N5%10````````X!@``!\/.FHVPZ`D```,8#0``.#!PD`"J`8.@```
>MD@,5;P`0`-$&`(9H[0!P(%&1A1!`(I`HD7`&B@A%)I20R*)$@QE~)T>>X<%@
>M`X`@9MC5!"#%C+F=1\R`VVG%C+:=/<PH4#+AC($1RP:*@",D$X@$)U.N;/DR
>
>    This sample is representative of a file obtained from the net.  Observe
>the same file as encoded by DUMAS on my system:
>
>table
> !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?
>@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]~_
>begin 644 DUMASUUX.ARC
>M&@A5540N5%10        X!@  !\/.FHVPZ D   ,8#0  .#!PD "J 8.@   z
>MD@,5;P 0 -$& (9H[0!P(%&1A1! (I HD7 &B@A%)I20R*)$@QE~)T>>X<%@y
>M X @9MC5!"#%C+F=1\R VVG%C+:=/<PH4#+AC($1RP:*@",D$X@$)U.N;/DRx

The added characters at the end of each line form a sequence check used
by the Dumas UUD program.  They are ignored by uudecode, but if your
version gets confused, you can simply remove the last character of each
line (sed -e 's/[a-z]$//') before decoding.  The table is also used by
UUD, but should be ignored by standard uudecode.

I have not had problems decoding all kinds of uuencoded files with UUD,
including all of those from the MS-DOS group.  I send out UUE-encoded
files all the time and haven't heard of any problems.

I've made some changes to UUD which let me decode whole bunches of files
at one shot -- very handy.  Dumas has saved me a lot of trouble!

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (09/14/89)

Just thought I would pop into the UUD discusion.   My favorite feature of
uud (not uudecode) is that you can save all the parts of a UUEncoded file
from a newsgroup (like say comp.binaries.atari.st) into mailbox form and
uud that file.  The only catch is the parts must be in order.  So, when a
new program shows up I wait till all the parts are there and save them into
a mailbox and uud the mailbox.  It is so much easier then using various files
or editing the uue stuff into one big file.

Uud will also decode multiple files in the same saved mailbox file.  So you
could have a file with parts 1-7 of something and parts 1-5 of something
else and decode both of them with on uud.  The only catch is that the files
must be in the right order.

dav

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (09/15/89)

In article <15573@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) writes:
>Just thought I would pop into the UUD discusion.   My favorite feature of
>uud (not uudecode) is that you can save all the parts of a UUEncoded file
>from a newsgroup (like say comp.binaries.atari.st) into mailbox form and
>uud that file.  The only catch is the parts must be in order.

It is easy to hack UUD so that you can save all the parts of a posting
and decode them all at one shot.  When something big comes along, like
nethack, I just save the parts as nh.01, nh.02, etc., and when the whole
thing is ready I give the command UUD nh.?? to decode the package.

If I don't hear from Dumas in the next few days (it is basically his
code, he should have first crack at modifying it) I will send my version
to Steve Grimm for posting.

--

oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (09/16/89)

In article <1989Sep15.123912.24116@cs.dal.ca> bill@biomel.UUCP writes:
>In article <15573@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) writes:
>>Just thought I would pop into the UUD discusion.   My favorite feature of
>>uud (not uudecode) is that you can save all the parts of a UUEncoded file
>>from a newsgroup (like say comp.binaries.atari.st) into mailbox form and
>>uud that file.  The only catch is the parts must be in order.
>
>It is easy to hack UUD so that you can save all the parts of a posting
>and decode them all at one shot.  When something big comes along, like
>nethack, I just save the parts as nh.01, nh.02, etc., and when the whole
>thing is ready I give the command UUD nh.?? to decode the package.

I got UUD from the terminator archive i beleive. I save messages
from the net in the form 'nethck30.uag', just like it says on the
begin line. I then say uud nethck30.uaa and uud does the rest! No
file editing or anything, it just works. I suggest you try it.
The uud documentation says it looks for a file in the current
directory with the name that is in the include line. You don't
have to do anything special.

Good luck
Brian

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (09/16/89)

In article <2352@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) writes...

>In article <1989Sep15.123912.24116@cs.dal.ca> bill@biomel.UUCP writes:
>>In article <15573@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) writes:
(how they do it deleted)

Well, I have the uud from panarthea and this is how I do it.
1. Send mail to panarthea.
2. Wait for reply.
3. Repeat as needed to get all the files.
4. Since this account is on a VMS machine, use EDT to edit out the
headers, and for multi-part things, edit the include at the end to
specify b:, cause I don't have a harddisk.
5. Go home.
6. Log in at home.
7. Save the files by capturing screen output.
8. Put fresh disk w/ only UUD in a:.
9. UUD specifying that the first file is on b:.
10. De-ARC form A: to a new disk on b:.

If anyone has a better idea (especially for the transfer from my work
account to my ST) please tell it to me. It might just allow me to get
some of the ARC'ed files from some of the other sources (I don't seem to
be able to transfer them to my ST).

I agree that the archive at panarthea is run very well.

>Good luck
>Brian
| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (09/17/89)

In article <2352@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) writes:
>I got UUD from the terminator archive i beleive. I save messages
>from the net in the form 'nethck30.uag', just like it says on the
>begin line. I then say uud nethck30.uaa and uud does the rest! No
>file editing or anything, it just works. I suggest you try it.
>The uud documentation says it looks for a file in the current
>directory with the name that is in the include line. You don't
>have to do anything special.

Great if you only decode ST postings which were encoded with UUE.
My version of UUD works with PC postings also.  In addition, I can
decode all of the encoded files in a directory with one command -- it
finishes one and goes on to the next.  It even skips files with no
encoded material (often part 0 of a posting is like this).

--

jlemon@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Jonathan Lemon) (09/17/89)

]
]If anyone has a better idea (especially for the transfer from my work
]account to my ST) please tell it to me. It might just allow me to get
]some of the ARC'ed files from some of the other sources (I don't seem to
]be able to transfer them to my ST).

What you need is something that handles protocol transfer.  You can use
your current method for uu'ed files, since the intention of uuencoding is
to enable a file to be sent via mail, using only printable ASCII chars.
When you try to do the same with ARC, or any other random binary file,
your terminal might interpret it as a command, or the character is not
displayed.  (Common example: /000 or NUL).  I believe that there is a
well-liked pd program called uniterm that will handle different xfer
protocols, avalible from terminator.  You can use this on your Atari.
If you don't have a protocol on your UN*X end, (don't laugh, I've seen
systems without kermit, for example) then I can get mail you a pd version
of xmodem to use.

What I do:
1. Get the files
2. run them through uud or uudecode(UN*X)
3. run the binaries through arc
3. xfer them to my Atari.
4. un-arc them (arcing them saves me xfer time)
5. run.

Much simpler.
--
Jonathan   ...ucbvax!cory!jlemon   or   jlemon@cory.Berkeley.EDU

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (09/18/89)

In article <17281@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, jlemon@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Jonathan Lemon) writes...

>In article <2420@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) writes:
(What I do, What he do deleted)
What's UN*X? I am on a VAX w/VMS. The preblem with ARC'ed filed is as
you describe... the terminal usually locks up. I do have Xmodem, but I
don't think the system does. As far as I can tell, when I call from
home, the VAX thinks I'm just another terminal.

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (09/18/89)

In article <17281@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jlemon@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Jonathan Lemon) writes:
>In article <2420@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) writes:
> various tranfer techniques deleted
>
>Much simpler.

Actually, what I do is:
1) On my UNIX workstation at work I put all the uuencoded parts in a single
    file of mailbox format
2) uud the file
3) doswrite the file using the 3.5 floppy drive on my UNIX box
4) Take it home an copy it my atari

See... the IBM 6152 does has a useful feature after....
course, a Sun 386i would also work

Sorry, couldn't help gloating (-;
Being a  block away from work helps too.

Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com (09/19/89)

Neil Gilmore writes that he has no protocol-based file transfer from
his VAX/VMS system to his Atari ST.

There are public-domain transfer programs available from DECUS (Digital
Equipment Computer Users' Society) that support both XMODEM and KERMIT
protocols.

Ask your system manager if has Kermit or XMODEM installed on your system.
If he doesn't, get the DECUS tapes (which are available for a nominal fee
to cover the cost of the media).

Incidentally, EDIT/TPU is much nicer than EDIT/EDT...

                                - hbm
Henry B. Messenger                     henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
Digital Equipment Corporation is not responsible for anything I say on USENET