[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 availability

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (03/27/89)

In article <516@bridge2.3Com.Com> pvf@diablo.3Com.com (Paul Fries) writes:
|So, how will we be able to get TOS 1.4?

  Believe me...  as soon as TOS 1.4 goes into general distribution, we
will make WIDELY available COMPLETE details on how to get it.

  Until then, please be patient.
  And yes, it really exists.  I use it daily.

--
 Ken Badertscher                 | Hey, umm, the stuff I said up there
 Atari R&D Software Engine       | is, like, what _I_ think, okay?

nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson) (09/08/89)

I asked our local authorized Atari dealer to order the 1.4 roms. He just
got off the phone with them. They told him that he can only order TOS 1.4
on a ONE-TO-ONE BASIS WITH THE NUMBER OF MEGA DESKTOP PUBLISHING SYSTEMS
HE HAS ORDERED. i.e. MY DEALER CANNOT ORDER THE 1.4 ROMS for me or my
user group members.

Will someone at Atari please, Please, PLEASE get the message out to
whoever is in charge out there and get their signals straight. Sam says
our dealer can order the roms. Ken says my dealer can order the roms. But
Atari's order department WILL NOT SELL THE ROMS, except as noted. This
doesn't sound like general availability to me.

Bruce Nelson
President
Atari Computer Owners of Rochester, NY

SML108@PSUVM.BITNET (09/12/89)

In article <2093@kodak.UUCP>, nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson) says:

>I asked our local authorized Atari dealer to order the 1.4 roms. He just
>got off the phone with them. They told him that he can only order TOS 1.4
>on a ONE-TO-ONE BASIS WITH THE NUMBER OF MEGA DESKTOP PUBLISHING SYSTEMS
>HE HAS ORDERED. i.e. MY DEALER CANNOT ORDER THE 1.4 ROMS for me or my
>user group members.
>
>Will someone at Atari please, Please, PLEASE get the message out to
>whoever is in charge out there and get their signals straight. Sam says
>our dealer can order the roms. Ken says my dealer can order the roms. But
>Atari's order department WILL NOT SELL THE ROMS, except as noted. This
>doesn't sound like general availability to me.

  Join the club, our local store is not going to order them because they were
told they had to order them in quantities of 6 or more, and only three people
in the area have shown interest in them.  Atari is Back ?!?!?!?  Wanna buy
buy some swamp land too ?

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (09/17/89)

Like it or not, the people WILL get TOS 1.4.  If Atari doesn't want to
sell them, people will burn them.  The source code is readily available
and has been for months now.  Toad COmputers in Maryland is offering the
real McCoy for $80/set (not including installation) and my dealer told
me more on order.  By personal belief is that the DTP story is being
blown out of proportion.  It probably is the case that Atari doesn't have
100,000's of TOS 1.4 ROMs and is using this system as a means to dsitribute
what they have, makes more sense than continuing to keep them off the
market.  Remember that Portfolia has been announced as SHIPPING and
I'm sure that has priority right now (heck, it pushed the stock up from
$6 to $12!)  (Thats Portfolio...fingers faster than the eyes...)
Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (09/19/89)

I finally visited my dealer and they put me on a waiting list (it looked
quite long). They said they have been getting the new ROMs sporadically and
have no idea when they'll get to me. They charge $90, installed, for the
new ROMs.

They also claim there is no Mega installation problem, and no problem using
ICD driver software v2.3 with TOS 1.4. (In fact, there was fellow that
walked up and said he had the new ROMs and v2.3 of the ICD driver software..
no problem. He had just brought in version 3.1 (?) to try on the dealer's
machine with TOS 1.4). Hmmm... I thought someone here thought there was
an incompatibility?

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are those solely
of the author, who has no pecuniary interest in the companies mentioned.

Copyright (c) 1989 by Andrew Cassino.  All rights reserved.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (09/20/89)

Um... I will challenge the comment that TOS 1.4 works fine with
ICD software 2.41 - you will get a message that says the software
is incompatible with that version of the software.  You must use
ICD version 3.1 or later - the latest is 4.2.1 I think (I just DLed
last week.)

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com