[comp.sys.atari.st] Curious about "Rainbow" TOS

MBERNAR@ERENJ.BITNET (Marcelino Bernardo) (09/08/89)

Recently I have read Ken Badertscher of Atari refer to TOS 1.4 as the
"Rainbow" TOS.  I was just curious.  Why was the this name chosen?

Marcelino Bernardo
mbernar@erenj.bitnet

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (09/09/89)

In article <8909081454.AA05183@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MBERNAR@ERENJ.BITNET (Marcelino Bernardo) writes:
>Recently I have read Ken Badertscher of Atari refer to TOS 1.4 as the
>"Rainbow" TOS.  I was just curious.  Why was the this name chosen?
>
>Marcelino Bernardo
>mbernar@erenj.bitnet

With TOS 1.4, if you look under DESKTOP INFO, instead of the old black
fuji symbol we get with 1.0 and 1.2, you get a nifty rainbow colored
fuji, with the colors scrolling upwards.  It's pretty, but I think it
is unnecessary.  I think Ken might have gotten a little silly that day,
and decided to put in some pretty colors.   Right Ken?   :^)

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Call the ACORN BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud     | 3) Coke Classic

mike@system.Cambridge.NCR.COM (mike) (09/12/89)

Sorry, I replied to this article instead of doing a followup.  Let's see
if I can get it right this time !!!

In article <1216@ultb.UUCP> Chris Freemesser writes:
>In article <8909081454.AA05183@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MBERNAR@ERENJ.BITNET (Marcelino Bernardo) writes:
>>Recently I have read Ken Badertscher of Atari refer to TOS 1.4 as the
>>"Rainbow" TOS.  I was just curious.  Why was the this name chosen?
>>
>>Marcelino Bernardo
>>mbernar@erenj.bitnet
>
>With TOS 1.4, if you look under DESKTOP INFO, instead of the old black
>fuji symbol we get with 1.0 and 1.2, you get a nifty rainbow colored
>fuji, with the colors scrolling upwards.  It's pretty, but I think it
>is unnecessary.  I think Ken might have gotten a little silly that day,
>and decided to put in some pretty colors.   Right Ken?   :^)
>
>Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
>BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
>USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
>Call the ACORN BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud     | 3) Coke Classic

That sounds like an awfully reasonable idea.  I'm not sure what the actual
truth of the situation is, but I think my son came up with the best reason.

Think about it ...

What is a rainbow anyway ...

	... Something always far away in the distance
	... Something you can never touch
	... Something that you dream of more often than you see
	... Something that you can never own !!!

Hmmmm,

	for a 15 year old, he shows remarkable understanding

(No flames please ... I really am looking forward to the new TOS, whatever
it is called.  I just couldn't pass this up after he had told me his
thinking about the new name)

mike

In article <8909081454.AA05183@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> (Marcelino Bernardo) writes:
>Recently I have read Ken Badertscher of Atari refer to TOS 1.4 as the
>"Rainbow" TOS.  I was just curious.  Why was the this name chosen?

I don't know of course but I have some ideas :

Because you can see it but you can't touch it ?

It's Sam's way of promising you that you won't ever be flooded with bogus
product announcements?

It's only visible on very wet days and from certain angles?

Atari bought a bunch of DEC personal computers and this is the
version of TOS that supports them?

I'm sure there are lots of possibilities...
--Chuck McManis
"If I were driving a Macintosh, I'd have to stop before I could turn the wheel."

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (09/14/89)

In article <8909081454.AA05183@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> (Marcelino Bernardo) writes:
>Recently I have read Ken Badertscher of Atari refer to TOS 1.4 as the
>"Rainbow" TOS.  I was just curious.  Why was the this name chosen?

In the front page article of the November 1988 ST Informer ("Sig Hartmann
apologizes, promises better Atari support in the future" by Rod McDonald),
Atari VP, Sig Hartmann is quoted as saying "Developers should write more
software, they'll make jillions."

Rainbow TOS must have something to do with this mythical pot-of-gold at
the end of the rainbow that Atari is always talking about.
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)	| "Lester Moore - Four slugs from a .44
Beckemeyer Development Tools		|  no Les, no more."

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/15/89)

No, actually it's because I want to call the next major TOS version
"over the rainbow" TOS.

Or maybe it's to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Wizard of Oz.

Actually, Chris was right, I got silly one night, and decided to put
in the easter egg.  I apologize to people that only have monochrome
monitors, but it would have been, er, difficult to do anything as
colorful in that 640x400 resolution. <grin>

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (09/19/89)

In article <1691@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
about the Ranbow on the Fuji on TOS 1.4
>Actually, Chris was right, I got silly one night, and decided to put
>in the easter egg.  I apologize to people that only have monochrome
>monitors, but it would have been, er, difficult to do anything as
>colorful in that 640x400 resolution. <grin>

TRIVIAL TOS 1.4 BUG!!!! (I thought that would get your attention Ken :-)
I don't have TOS 1.4 yet but I suspect that the rainbow won't work
properly with bigscreen.prg (a great program that give GEM a bigger screen).
You'll have to scroll the dialog to the middle of the screen first. Yes?

>--
>   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK            "spam spaM spAM sPAM SPAM, lovely SPAM"  !

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/22/89)

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:

| I don't have TOS 1.4 yet but I suspect that the rainbow won't work
| properly with bigscreen.prg (a great program that give GEM a bigger screen).

That's right, Neil.  Not only that, but bigscreen.prg doesn't work with
Rainbow TOS either.  Oh well.