[comp.sys.atari.st] Is all this documented?

ralph@nastassia.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (09/20/89)

In article <1692@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
|  ...  The DESKTOP.INF files should
|  be completely interchangable, with the obvious exception that
|  DESKTOP.INF files created with Rainbow TOS which have auto-launch files
|  won't cause an auto-launch with an older TOS version.

The summary says it all!  I do hope that the DESKTOP.INF file format
will be documented.  As well as all those nice new features of Rainbow
TOS!

It is amazing that I had to learn about the ordinary utility (yes GEM
does use it!) of the right mouse button -- e.g., double clicking in some
other than the topmost window to execute, etc. -- from on of the
on-line magazines of ill repute: ST-Report or ST.zmagazine.  Not my
documentation!

I'm hoping... for good user documentation!  Not having to become a
developer just to get some decent documentation.

Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams.   --   King Crimson

laba-1aj@web-2f.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (09/23/89)

In article <427@laas.laas.fr> ralph@laas.laas.fr	(Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
>It is amazing that I had to learn about the ordinary utility (yes GEM
>does use it!) of the right mouse button -- e.g., double clicking in some
>other than the topmost window to execute, etc. -- from on of the
>on-line magazines of ill repute: ST-Report or ST.zmagazine.  Not my
>documentation!

This was in the manual I got with the 1040ST in 1986.  They mentioned it
in passing, and most everyone probably didn't catch it.  IMHO, I think
the ST "User" docs are fine.  Their programmer/hobbyist support sucks.
There must be some kind of irony in this: in 1985, Atari said they would
support the user's groups and hobbyists, and that they were the market
Atari was going to try and hook.

>I'm hoping... for good user documentation!  Not having to become a
>developer just to get some decent documentation.

Despite the fact that there are no offical public docs from Atari, there's
a decent amount of good info from other sources.  The best is probably
Tim Oren's "Pro GEM" series.  I don't understand why Atari doesn't just
buy up his series and other good ST articles, hire someone to edit the
stuff, and have a German company publish it in a book.  I'm sure they
would get some great sales on both sides of the Atlantic.  They'd do
even better if they translated the English stuff :-)

>Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
>ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
>ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
>SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
>Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams.   --   King Crimson

&  John Kawakami
&  laba-1aj@web.berkeley.edu
&