[comp.sys.atari.st] MIS-BEHAVING MOUSE/CURSOR

ia4@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Imran Anwar) (09/18/89)

		MISBEHAVING MOUSE: WHY?
-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-

I was using Flash, Word and Uniterm from their own respective folders on the
same disk. The deskaccessory Mousespeed was also present on that disk but
had not been used.

Closing Word and going into the Uniterm folder resulted in the cursor movements
being reversed from those of the mouse in the up/down direction though staying
correct in the left/right direction. Had to reboot.

Any logical reasons for this? Solution?

Thanks for your response.

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (09/18/89)

In article <8909180439.AA23485@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> ia4@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Imran Anwar) writes:
...[edited]...
>Closing Word and going into the Uniterm folder resulted in the cursor movements
>being reversed from those of the mouse in the up/down direction though staying
>correct in the left/right direction. Had to reboot.
>
>Any logical reasons for this? Solution?

This symptom is typical of a known ST virus.

Get out your favorite virus detect/kill utility and start checking
your disks. This virus (if that's what it is) resides on the boot sector
of floppy disks only. It does not corrupt files, damage disks, or destroy
anything except disks which must have their own executable boot sectors.
Those disks are rendered useless since the virus overwrites the boot sector
with itself.

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA

stefan@spcc386.UUCP (Stefan Posthuma) (09/19/89)

Imran Anwar writes:
>Closing Word and going into the Uniterm folder resulted in the cursor movements
>being reversed from those of the mouse in the up/down direction though staying
>correct in the left/right direction. Had to reboot.

I don't want to alarm you, but this is the result of a virus called 'Mouse'.
It reverses the y-direction of the mouse after some time. The original version
of the virus is not agressive, it doesn't delete anything on diskettes but
it does multiply itself to bootsectors.
I strongly suggest you get a virus killer and check your disks!

  "Oh my God, it is the attack of the Half-Crazed Mutant Teenage Alien Computer
Junkies!!"                                 +------------------------------------
  "Relax! It are just some SPCC employees" | uunet!mcvax!spcc386!stefan

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (09/23/89)

In article <8909180439.AA23485@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> ia4@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Imran Anwar) writes:

>		MISBEHAVING MOUSE: WHY?
>
>Closing Word and going into the Uniterm folder resulted in the cursor movements
>being reversed from those of the mouse in the up/down direction though staying
>correct in the left/right direction. Had to reboot.
>
>Any logical reasons for this? Solution?

The reason is probably that you've got infected by one of these f-cking
viruses that exists on the ST; The Mouse-Inversion virus.
Solution: Get the VIRUS-KILLER utility that have been posted quite recently
to the comp.binaries.atari.st. (Or I can e-mail it to you, if you like)

I hope they'll never find the corps of the guy who invented the virus.