[comp.sys.atari.st] 2400 baud downloading

clubok@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Kenneth Clubok) (09/21/89)

Well, I just upgraded to a 2400 baud modem, and I can't seem to download
files from UNIX using Xmodem at 2400 baud, although 1200 baud seems to
work fine.  It goes for about 18K and then says "sector number error".
I am using a 1040ST with FLASH! and a Zenith Hayes-compatible modem.  I
have Maxidisk installed, although I get the same problem with other ramdisks.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Kenneth Clubok
Clubok@husc4.bitnet
Clubok@husc4.harvard.edu

dbsuther@PacBell.COM (Daniel B. Suthers) (09/24/89)

In article <2662@husc6.harvard.edu> clubok@husc4.UUCP (Kenneth Clubok) writes:
>Well, I just upgraded to a 2400 baud modem, and I can't seem to download
>files from UNIX using Xmodem at 2400 baud, although 1200 baud seems to
>work fine.  It goes for about 18K and then says "sector number error".

The symptoms you describe are typical of having XON/XOFF flow control
utilized by some external device.  The sector number for you are losing it
on is...XOFF!!!    Nec 2431 modems do automatic XON/XOF, and so do some
LANS and datakit.   One way around it is to use KERMIT instead of xmodem.

Other alternatives include checking the modem options on both ends, and
any data switch (LAN or Datakit) you happen to go through.  If it's a
Unix system, try dialing in on the port used for UUCP.  UUCP can't handle
flow control either.

Dan Suthers,  Analyst, Pacific Bell
uucp: {backbone}!pacbell!pbeos!dbsuther
Youth's a difficult time, and it gets harder the longer you try to draw it out.