[comp.sys.atari.st] Announcing BibTeX V0.99 for the Atari-ST!!

jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (09/18/89)

I just finished porting V0.99c of Bibtex over for the atari-st.
I was able to use the PC-DOS code written for the Turbo-C compiler on the
PC's over to the ST using Prospero-C!

If you have to ask yourself, "what it Bibtex?" this anouncement will
probably have little meaning for you.

BUT, if you are already running LaTeX and maybe the nice new .dvi previewer
that was just posted to comp.binaries.atari.st and you wanted a "complete"
LaTeX system, here is the last piece of the puzzle.
BibTeX lets you maintain a separate library of Bibliography references and
then integrate that bibliography into you LaTeX document.

I can now do "almost" everything for my master's thesis at home on my ST
that I can do here at AFIT on our SUN systems!! (I say "almost" because
I still can't do Fig files at home).

Someday, probably after my thesis is submitted, I hope to write a complete
article on using the LaTeX environment on the ST.  Who knows, I may even
submit it to the ST mags for publication.  I think it is time that all
those who are so excited about "DTP" on the ST find out what true typeset
quality document preparation looks like!  Sure, DTP programs have their
place (ie, newsletters, flyers, etc), but lets face facts: for Professional
quality typesetting of articles (particularly those with mathematical
equations in them) LaTeX is still the academic standard!

With my LaTeX system driving my HP-DeskJet printer and previewing using the
excellent previewer just posted to the comp.binaries.atari.st, I can
produce 300dpi quality papers that I doubt even Calamus can come close to!

I have submitted bibtex to comp.binaries.atari.st and will upload it to the
terminator archive soon.  The .dvi driver for the deskjet is available from
terminator in the directory /atari/new as will bibtex very soon!  Couple
these with the stuff available in /atari/tex from terminator, and you too
can be whipping out high quality mathematical/engineering papers!

Please, no "my DTP program can beat your DTP program" flame wars!!!
If you haven't seen a LaTeX document printed on a Laser-printer or a
DeskJet, you can't appreciate the power of LaTeX!  NO, IT ISN'T VERY USER
FRIENDLY AND IT ISN'T WYSIWYG!!  But the power and advantage of LaTeX lies
in other areas.  LaTeX isn't a replacement for DTP, it is simply a better
way to go for the specific application of Professional quality document
preparation with mathematical typesetting capablilty that is unsurpassed!

|   Jeff Long              jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil  (ARPA net)      |
|   humble (and getting humbler by the day) graduate student;           |
|   The Air Force Institute of Technology  (what a great way of life??) |

scksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Sean Kelly) (09/20/89)

In article <1349@blackbird.afit.af.mil> jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
>Please, no "my DTP program can beat your DTP program" flame wars!!!
>If you haven't seen a LaTeX document printed on a Laser-printer or a
>DeskJet, you can't appreciate the power of LaTeX!  NO, IT ISN'T VERY USER
>FRIENDLY AND IT ISN'T WYSIWYG!!  [...]

True!  And if you think LaTeX is great, plain TeX is even better!
Yes, even LESS user friendly, but when it comes to precise control,
TeX is the way to go.  Quality, HIGHEST quality is the name of the
game.  I'm addicted.  And I've got to admit: Everything else really
DOES look substandard.

--
kelly (sean)                      `What is the wasting?'
scksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu            `The wasting is ... the wasting!'

jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (09/20/89)

Just a follow-up to the Bibtex announcement:

I have uploaded Bibtex and the Deskjet .dvi driver to the
TeX/LaTeX directory in the Atari-Productivity forum on Compuserve.

I was thinking about uploading the zoo archive of the font files, but
it is so large that it would cost too much for someone to d/l!

Look for stuff uploaded by  73020,407 (thats me!)

Any questions, send me E-Mail.

|   Jeff Long              jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil  (ARPA net)      |
|   humble (and getting humbler by the day) graduate student;           |
|   The Air Force Institute of Technology  (what a great way of life??) |

jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (09/21/89)

To accomodate those who have asked for BibTeX and need it before it
shows up on comp.binaries.atari.st or on terminator.cc.umich.edu!

BTW- would the moderator of comp.binaries.atari.st let me know if
my submission of stbibtex.zoo (in four uue'd files) got through OK?
I forgot to ask for confirmation in a cover letter :-(

Attention!!  For a limited time (until the system operators get rid of
it!) BibTeX for the ST is available via anonymous ftp from
129.192.2.1  (blackbird.afit.af.mil) in dirctory /pub/
use the  usual "anonymous" login with password of "guest".

Do an ftp>cd pub
      ftp>binary
      ftp>get stbibtex.zoo

Unzoo it and Please Spread it around wherever you see TeX/LaTeX for the
Atari-ST!

|   Jeff Long              jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil  (ARPA net)      |
|   humble (and getting humbler by the day) graduate student;           |
|   The Air Force Institute of Technology  (what a great way of life??) |

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (09/22/89)

Jeff Long sez:
I was thinking about uploading the zoo archive of the font files, but
it is so large that it would cost too much for someone to d/l!

Jeff...  do you think it would be possible to break the font files into
several ZOO archives..?

That way users could download just the font files they needed...

BobR

jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (09/22/89)

In article <22405@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Jeff Long sez:
>I was thinking about uploading the zoo archive of the font files, but
>it is so large that it would cost too much for someone to d/l!
>
>Jeff...  do you think it would be possible to break the font files into
>several ZOO archives..?
>
>That way users could download just the font files they needed...
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^a
Perhaps Bob isn't familiar with the organization of PK fonts for the Atari
.dvi drivers.
They are all within one folder, with a separate folder for each font name
and mulitple entries within each font folder for the mag step sizes:
/fonts/cmr10/300pk
/fonts/cmr10/329pk
/fonts/cmr10/360pk
/fonts/cmbx10/300pk
/fonts/cmbx10/360pk
etc....

Now for the big question---How am I to know which collection of fonts
a particlular user will need?  How many subsets do I try and make?
What magsteps in which fonts?    Do you see the dilemna?  Perhaps if
someone wants to take a poll of which fonts are most needed by the
"average" user, then I could undertake this task.  As for my, I am using
the driver to print out 100 pages of Master's Thesis, and I use LOTS of
different fonts in LOTS of different sizes, so I really can't judge what
would be the "most common" fonts desired.
   Thanks for you interest though.  I would suggest you try and get the
two font files dvifnts1.zoo and dvifnts2.zoo from the terminator archive
/atari/new directory if you have ftp access and save the compuserve
charges!!                     Jeff Long  (JKL)

|   Jeff Long              jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil  (ARPA net)      |
|   humble (and getting humbler by the day) graduate student;           |
|   The Air Force Institute of Technology  (what a great way of life??) |

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (09/24/89)

Jeff Long says:
>Perhaps Bob isn't familiar with the organization of PK fonts for the Atari
>.dvi drivers.
>They are all within one folder, with a separate folder for each font name
>and mulitple entries within each font folder for the mag step sizes:
>/fonts/cmr10/300pk
>/fonts/cmr10/329pk
>/fonts/cmr10/360pk
>/fonts/cmbx10/300pk
>/fonts/cmbx10/360pk
>etc....

Yes... I realize that all the fonts live in the /font/ folder, and it would
be easiest to just ZOO the entire folder...   what I meant was that by
ZOOing just one font style together, say  /cmr10  or  /cmbx10  it would
make it easier for users to download...   just "Swiss"  or  "Helvetica"..

But I also realize it would be a lot of work to go through the whole
font folder and process each one separately...  I guess I'm not sure what
the best answer would be.

BobR