[comp.sys.atari.st] PD lex & yacc for MS-DOS

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) (08/11/89)

Hi all.

I sort of remember some versions of lex and yacc floating by
in this group.  I am suddenly in need of lex and yacc for a
project on MS-DOS.  Since the ST C compilers also use (or should
use!) 16-bit ints, I would expect the same source to work for
both.  So, where do I get the source?  ANd has anybody tried it
on MS-DOS?  (I still have my ST, but am paid to do some things
on messy-dos.  Please don't stone me, Atarians :-)

- Moshe Braner

Cornell Theory Center, 265 Olin Hall,
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853	USA
(607) 255-9401
<braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu>		(INTERNET)
<braner@crnlthry>			(BITNET)

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (08/17/89)

In article <8609@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) writes:
> Hi all.
>
> I sort of remember some versions of lex and yacc floating by
> in this group.  I am suddenly in need of lex and yacc for a
> project on MS-DOS.  Since the ST C compilers also use (or should
> use!) 16-bit ints, I would expect the same source to work for
> both.  So, where do I get the source?  ANd has anybody tried it
> on MS-DOS?  (I still have my ST, but am paid to do some things
> on messy-dos.  Please don't stone me, Atarians :-)
>
> - Moshe Braner

	I have the same need for lex and yacc but for a different reason. There
are many UNIX/C programs from the archives which require lex and/or yacc.
and so, there are hard to port without having lex and/or yacc on the ST.

so, are there any pd lex and yacc and awk which are fully compatible with the
UNIX originals??

richard (gtephx!covertr) covert

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (09/10/89)

In article <4515e338.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
...	(quotes from Moshe Braner)

>	I have the same need for lex and yacc but for a different reason. There
>are many UNIX/C programs from the archives which require lex and/or yacc.
>and so, there are hard to port without having lex and/or yacc on the ST.

Lex and yacc generates C code, so you can always run them on a Unix box
and port the C code (which is very bulky) to any machine which has a C
compiler.  You need to write a couple of routines like yywrap(), but
these are pretty trivial (I think that yywrap() is the only function not
defined in the output C code, and it can be a do-nothing -- it is a
function loaded from llib.a if you don't write your own version).

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

agrusow@exunido.uucp (Michael Vishchers) (09/26/89)

In article <1989Sep10.115547.26577@cs.dal.ca> bill@biomel.UUCP writes:
>In article <4515e338.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>...	(quotes from Moshe Braner)
>>
>>	I have the same need for lex and yacc but for a different reason. There
>>are many UNIX/C programs from the archives which require lex and/or yacc.
>>and so, there are hard to port without having lex and/or yacc on the ST.
[deleted]

I haven't listened to the discussion so far, but if you need a PD lex or yacc
for the ST, there should be no problem. I have heard of a PD yacc called
"bison" (obviously a GNU port) floating around somewhere, and my port of
flex (=lex) appeared in comp.binaries.atari.st only some weeks ago.

There was a newer version of flex in comp.sources.unix recently, and I think
you will have no trouble compiling it on the ST (e.g.,with Sozobon).

If you cannot get at these goodies, feel free to contact me and I will send
you a disk.

Michael

/ Michael Vishchers                           | History repeats itself.\
| agrusow@exunido.uucp                        | Has to.                |
|                                             | No one listens.        |
| (I think)                                   |        (steve turner)  |
/ Home address:: Frohnhauser Str. 233    D-4300 Essen 1    West-Germany\