[comp.sys.atari.st] 1040 MMUs & memory expansion

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (09/27/89)

In article <45bcc838.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>  Or, you can do like my local Atari dealer did, and add the extra 2 megabytes
>of RAM IC chips to the Mega ST2's motherboard.

>  Also, rumors has it
>that newer Mega ST2s aren't wired for 4 megabytes of memory (no solder traces
>running to solder filled holes like in my 18 month Mega ST2). this makes sense,
>since Atari has No Offical Upgrade for the Mega ST2.

I recently upgraded my 1040 to 2.5 megs, and heard from the person who
installed it that Atari is now shipping 1040s with MMUs that only address one
meg!  So if you have one of these machines, you can add an extra $30 or so for
a new (rather, old) MMU!

This really surprised me!  Imagine, going to all that trouble to manufacture
special MMUs just to stop people from upgrading their machine!

BTW, I got one of the new Zubair boards (Installed by Mr. Zubair himself!),
and they are great!  The whole board fits in the metal box (without the lid)
where the video shifter chip sits.  I was very impressed with his technical
expertise, and would recommend this board to anyone looking to upgrade an ST.
He also guarantees any installation he does for one year (he charges ~$35 if
you have a suitable MMU).  The same board is used to upgrade to two or four
megabytes, and all are tested to four megs.

Now that 1 megabit chips are in the $10-$12 range, a memory upgrade can be
quite affordable.  My total cost for a 2 meg upgrade was under $350!

I have no affiliation with Zubair Industries, Inc., other than being a happy
customer.  Aren't these disclaimers silly?

P.S. I would recommend against installing a memory board yourself.  I am very
technically competent, and I was amazed at how much can go wrong.  One little
short and NOTHING works!  Also, the ST is a VERY noisy machine, so keep those
cables short!  I don't mean to scare anyone, but ask yourself what you will do
when it DOESN'T work!
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton