[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 on disk

wardlaw@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (Johnie Wardlaw) (09/13/89)

Now that TOS 1.4 (aka Rainbow TOS) is available, does this mean that the disk
based beta version supplied to registered developers is "up for grabs"?  I
would like to see how the new version affects my environment before committing
myself to the new ROM set.  I know the question "Is it worth it?" has been
asked and answered but I would feel much better justifying the $100.00 upgrade
cost to my wife if I can SHOW her what it will fix/affect on our machine.

People are also complaining that they can't get the ROMs from their dealers
for a number of reasons.  Wouldn't it be a good idea to release a disk based
version here on USENET and/or one of the pay services for those that are
sceptical (like me) or those that can't get the ROMs from the dealers?

Just a thought.  I've been reading this newsgroup for years and I finally had
something to say.

-- Johnie Wardlaw

|INTERNET| wardlaw@ucrmath.ucr.edu |
|  UUCP  | ...ucsd!ucrmath!wardlaw |   "If that was foreplay, I'm a dead man!"
|==SLOW==| 3971 Witt Avenue        |
|==MAIL==| Riverside, CA  92501    |           Alien Sex Scene - Cocoon
| PHONE  | (714) 682-9859          |

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (09/14/89)

wardlaw@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (Johnie Wardlaw) writes:
>Now that TOS 1.4 (aka Rainbow TOS) is available, does this mean that the
>disk based beta version supplied to registered developers is "up for grabs"?

If by "up for grabs" you mean "freely distributable" the answer is no.
Besides being illegal (it was supplied to developers under their
nondisclosure agreements, and is copyright by Atari in any case) it's
dangerous.  The version on disk is not the version in ROM.  Also, it's
not good business to let people use lots of different, unofficial
versions: we don't want to be in the position of saying, "Sorry, we
can't help you; we don't support the OS you're using."

Please don't use or distribute disk-based versions of TOS 1.4.

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/15/89)

wardlaw@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (Johnie Wardlaw) writes:

| People are also complaining that they can't get the ROMs from their dealers
| for a number of reasons.  Wouldn't it be a good idea to release a disk based
| version here on USENET and/or one of the pay services for those that are
| sceptical (like me) or those that can't get the ROMs from the dealers?

People who do not have dealers nearby should contact Atari Customer Service
(call 408/745-2000 and ask for Customer Service) for information on how they
can get the Rainbow TOS upgrade.

Please don't bother the Customer Service folks if you have a dealer nearby,
we are working as hard as we can to get the ROMs out to the dealers.  PLEASE
BE PATIENT.  If your dealer has a specific problem obtaining the Rainbow TOS
upgrade, he or she should contact the dealer support people here at Atari.

I'd just like to thank all the people who have taken the time to ask their
dealers about the upgrade, and thank those who have posted notes here and
sent me Email.  Your comments have been forwarded to the Atari people who
can solve the problems.

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (09/15/89)

In article <1689@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>wardlaw@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (Johnie Wardlaw) writes:
>>Now that TOS 1.4 (aka Rainbow TOS) is available, does this mean that the
>>disk based beta version supplied to registered developers is "up for grabs"?
>
>If by "up for grabs" you mean "freely distributable" the answer is no.

But why not?  It would be a great idea!  A disk based version of TOS,
freely distributable, that people can get to see what TOS 1.4 is like.
If they feel it is REALLY worth it, they can order it.

Nobody with an smidgen of sense would still use a disk-based version
instead of a set of ROMS, so you don't really have to worry about losing
sales.  Of course, Atari would have to update the disk version, so it
is equal to the ROM version (at least on the outside).

>Please don't use or distribute disk-based versions of TOS 1.4.

Yes, please wait for Atari to put out an official demo disk of 1.4.  :^)

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Call the ACORN BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud     | 3) Coke Classic

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (09/19/89)

In article <1243@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>Yes, please wait for Atari to put out an official demo disk of 1.4.  :^)

Sure! The DEMO Version won't allow you to save your work or only works for
10 minutes then reboots the resident ROM. :-) :-) :-) :-)
(I laughed until I stopped)

>Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
>BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
>USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
>Call the ACORN BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud     | 3) Coke Classic

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
! NEWS BULLETIN:                                                              !
! "Police suspect that the murdered man was carrying a chip set of TOS 1.4"   !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK                                                     !

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (09/22/89)

>Sure! The DEMO Version won't allow you to save your work or only works for
>10 minutes then reboots the resident ROM. :-) :-) :-) :-)
>(I laughed until I stopped)

Actually the DEMO version of TOS works for 10 minutes, then announces a
NEW version, to be available "First Quarter"...

BobR

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (09/25/89)

In article <22403@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com quotes me:
>>Sure! The DEMO Version won't allow you to save your work or only works for
>>10 minutes then reboots the resident ROM. :-) :-) :-) :-)
>>(I laughed until I stopped)
>
>Actually the DEMO version of TOS works for 10 minutes, then announces a
>NEW version, to be available "First Quarter"...

You creased me there Bob!
I bet it even uses the clock to adjust the dialogue "Second quarter" and
so on.

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK            "Is that your wife sarg"-"No it's my dog"!

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/27/89)

Actually, wouldn't it make more sense to have the OS on disk anyway?
That way we wouldn't be held hostage to the painfully slow upgrade
process of getting upgraded ROMs.  Although I think the guys working on
the ROMs are doing a fantastic job and I love the new version of TOS,
it is irritating to have to wait years for a fix for many of the well
documented and annoying bugs in TOS.  What in the world is wrong with
following the path of Microsoft and upgrading the OS software and
releasing new versions on a somewhat more timely basis on disk?  I would
rather wait an extra 10 seconds for my computer to boot than have to wait 2+
years for bug fixes AND have to disassemble my machine to have the
fixes installed "by an authorized dealer."  It seems as if the ST's
worst enemy is the company that produces it.  Sorry if this seems a bit
harsh, but I waited...and waited...and waited...and bought an Apple
when I couldn't get any satisfaction.  I love my little ST, but it seems
as if Atari would rather have me playing Asteroids on my machine rather
than writing or using meaningful software that could benefit us all.
What a shame.

Chris

Chris Mauritz                 |Everything tastes better
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |when it sits on a
(c)All rights reserved.       |mauRITZ. 8->
Send flames to /dev/null      |