[comp.sys.atari.st] PRINTING MAC FILES ON ST+LASERJET IIP: HOW

ia4@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Imran Anwar) (09/25/89)

		Printing Under Spectre 128
-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-

I understand that Spectre 128 does NOT support Postscript. So how does one
print out files and documents/graphics created using mac s/ware.

How would such files be printed if one had the HP Laserjet IIP connected to the
ST?

Thanks

Imran

jjung@sal-sun15.usc.edu (John Jung) (09/25/89)

In article <8909250518.AA18034@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> ia4@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Imran Anwar) writes:
>I understand that Spectre 128 does NOT support Postscript. So how does one
>print out files and documents/graphics created using mac s/ware.

  Actually, if I remember a talk Dave Small gave at the World of Atari show
here in California some months back, I do believe he said that Spectre does
support Postscript. It just doesn't support a Postscript printer. I seem to
recall (though my memory's a bit fuzzy) that he said you could redirect the
Postscript output to a file, and then transfer the file to a computer that can
do Postscript printing.

>How would such files be printed if one had the HP Laserjet IIP connected to the
>ST?

  Presumably, if my above statements are correct (and I remember what Dave
Small said at the WOA) then I suppose you could take the Postscript file and
move it to the ST and use Ultrascript to dump it out.

						John

P.S. I'm sure if I've missed anything, that somebody (Dan Moore?) will correct
me.

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (09/26/89)

In article <5335@merlin.usc.edu> jjung@sal-sun15.usc.edu (John Jung) writes:
> that he (Dave Small) said you could redirect the
>Postscript output to a file, and then transfer the file to a computer that can
>do Postscript printing.

I wanna know how to do this too!
I know that on real Macs can hold down a key combination (OPT-K?) to produce
Postscript files but unless you can install a postscript driver in the first
place then your sunk. I have never manged either on Spectre 128.

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK            "spam spaM spAM sPAM SPAM, lovely SPAM"  !

daved@cscnj.csc.COM (Dave Douglass) (09/27/89)

> I wanna know how to do this too!
> I know that on real Macs can hold down a key combination (OPT-K?) to produce
> Postscript files but unless you can install a postscript driver in the first
> place then your sunk. I have never manged either on Spectre 128.

> ! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs
> ! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk
> ! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil
> ! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK            "spam spaM spAM sPAM SPAM, lovely SPAM"

This works for Spectre v1.9 and MS Word v3.01; I've never tried any other
combination.

Make a startup disk with System 3.2/Finder 5.3, LaserWriter and Laser Prep
from the MS Word Program disk.  DON'T put anything else on this disk.
Use it to boot into Mac mode.  Activate the Chooser DA and turn Appletalk on.

Your machine is now hung.

Or is it?

Wait about 5 minutes or so.  The machine WILL eventually come back, in
good enough condition to close the Chooser and force an eject by repeatedly
hitting <f1> and popping the disk in and out until the Finder is satisfied.

Reboot with this same system disk.  Appletalk is now on and you can
successfully Choose and use the LaserWriter to do your Postscript dump.
---------
Dave Douglass  Computer Sciences Corporation  Piscataway, NJ  08854
...!rutgers.rutgers.edu!cscnj!daved