[comp.sys.atari.st] two things

depeche@CALVIN.CS.MCGILL.CA (S. Alan Ezust) (09/27/89)

Two Messages below:

subject: PC DITTO 2 incompatibilities.

In article <890921.12375165.090594@CU.CP6> NEWSTV1@CARLETON.CA writes:

> I have just read the blurb on PCDitto II, the internal
>board for STs that gives you a PC.  It says that the board
>only works on "unmodified" STs.  If I read that correctly, it
>means that if I have just upgraded my 1040 to four megs with
>a Datafree or Aerco board, I can now pay $300 for the
>privilege of ripping outmy four meg ST so I can own a 640K
>PC.  Is this correct?  I'd like Avant Garde's comment on this.

Strange - as it is the original pcditto emulates a PC with 703k
memory free - which is (my guess) different depending on how much memory
is on-board on an st. I can't imagine new restrictions being imposed on
the new version which weren't imposed on the original...

Now what I would like to know is, I am just about to get tos 1.4 installed
on my 1040st. Will that make it incompatible?

2] Help with SUPRA drives.

In article <464@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jlf@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Jack L Forester) writes:
>In article <32314@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, tran@orion.arc.nasa.gov (Andy-Cuong Tran) writes:
>> To fellow netters and Supra Corp.:
>>
>>      I recently bought a Supra 45 meg hard drive for my ST
[...]

>       3).  I cannot boot off my floppy disk when the hard drive is
>> off and connected to the ST, even when the hard drive has not
>> been set to autoboot.  This is important during extended periods
>> of game playing.  Is this a characteristic of the Supra host
>> controller or of all devices connected to the DMA port?

  I have my supra 30mb hard disk set up to autoboot and in the manual it
says that if you want to boot directly from floppy you must turn off the
computer, hold the ctrl-shift-alt keys, and turn it on. Wait for theprogram
to start loading, and then you can let the keys go.

 You MUST turn off the computer though - pressing reset will not work.

--
 S. Alan Ezust aka "Depeche Modem"       depeche@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca
 McGill University Computer Science      Disclaimer: I claim everything!