[comp.sys.atari.st] Bitching about S/W distribution

daved@cscnj.csc.COM (Dave Douglass) (09/30/89)

In article <1989Sep28.172110.7096@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, mshapiro@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Blind Man With A Vision) writes:
...an excerpt from the dialog...
> "No, we can't open the packages.  We'd have to sell the software as
> used."
> "How do you expect to sell this stuff if I can't look at it?  Do you
> know anything about these?"

A software dealer I know of (PC/Mac stuff only) was always more than happy
to open up a package and demo it for you.  He had a shrink wrap machine
in the back of the store.  If you didn't buy the software, it was rewrapped
and back on the shelves "like new" moments after you were out the door.....
It also gave him the opportunity to play with and learn a bit about the
software without having to sacrifice a piece of merchandise.

OK, so maybe it's kind of like having the waiter spit in your food.
But nobody knew the difference, and it seemed to make everybody happy.

Not that I ever bought anything there..........
--
---------
Dave Douglass  Computer Sciences Corporation  Piscataway, NJ  08854