[comp.sys.atari.st] Cart. port ramdisks

BGB100@PSUVM.BITNET (Bruce Gene Blanar) (09/21/89)

A few days ago someone (I don't have the note-sorry) posted a message about
wanting to find some specs/ schematics/ software for running a ramdisk
off of the cartridge port.  I too am interested in finding out how to build
one of these.  My 1040ST is tough to use with a 400K ramdisk!  (Yes, I know
about the memory upgrades, but I'd like to consider all options first!)

So, if anyone has some info on these projects, could you please send a copy
to me?  Many thanks in advance!
-------
 __   __   __   Bruce Blanar            |"Everybody need a mood lifter,
|__) | _  |__)  Penn State University   | Everybody need reverse polarity."
|__).|__|.|__). BGB100@PSUVM, BGB@PSUECL|                      -Rush

john@stag.UUCP (John Stanley) (09/25/89)

[BGB100@PSUVM.BITNET (Bruce Gene Blanar) writes...]
> A few days ago someone (I don't have the note-sorry) posted a message about
> wanting to find some specs/ schematics/ software for running a ramdisk
> off of the cartridge port.  I too am interested in finding out how to build
> one of these.  My 1040ST is tough to use with a 400K ramdisk!  (Yes, I know
> about the memory upgrades, but I'd like to consider all options first!)

  Save your self the development time and cost.  Just buy a MegaDisk or
UltraDisk (ramdisk cartridges) from Alpha Systems.  They already exist.
Are reasonably priced.  And they work great right out of the box.  You
can also buy a clock and/or battery backup option.  (Beleive me, there's
nothing quite so satisfactory as turning on your machine and having the
system boot in record time right off the -ramdisk- with all your tools
ready and waiting for you...)

  It's also a great and simple way to expand the effective size of your
machine past 4meg (or even just to upgrade a lower memory machine if you
want to use it as ramdisk space anyway...).

 I've had one for more than a year and have been -very- satisfied with it.

---
John Stanley <dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP>
Software Consultant / Dynasoft Systems

BGB100@PSUVM.BITNET (Bruce Gene Blanar) (09/27/89)

>  Save your self the development time and cost.  Just buy a MegaDisk or
>UltraDisk (ramdisk cartridges) from Alpha Systems.  They already exist.
>Are reasonably priced.  And they work great right out of the box.  You
>can also buy a clock and/or battery backup option.  ...

Believe me, if I had $300 to "Just buy" a MegaDisk, I still would
save my money for a few months more and spend $570 for a 20M HD.
I know this may sound like nitpicking, but as I college student, if
I can put in the extra time myself and save a few bucks...it's worth
all the development time.  I am just interested in finding out how
others may have gone about designing and writing software for this
project.

I thank you for your offer, but unfortunately, it won't work for me.

Any other ideas, anyone?

Bruce Blanar
-------
 __   __   __   Bruce Blanar            |"Everybody need a mood lifter,
|__) | _  |__)  Penn State University   | Everybody need reverse polarity."
|__).|__|.|__). BGB100@PSUVM, BGB@PSUECL|                      -Rush

randyh@hpsad.HP.COM (Randy Hosler) (09/27/89)

The E. Arthur Brown Company sells a cartridge port adapter.

It interfaces the cartridge port to a standard 44 pin .156 spaced
edge conector.  I'm not sure if any docs for i/o to the port are
provided. It's only $14.95.

           E. Arthur Brown Company
	   4304 Pawnee Dr.
	   Alexandria, MN 56308
	   ph. (612) 762-8847

disclaimer:  I'm not associated with EAB. I've never even bought
	     anything from them.

Randy Hosler
The opinions expressed above are mine and not neccessarily those of the
company I work for. I'm not sure what their opinions are.

blv@hpctdlk.HP.COM (Bob Vixie) (09/27/89)

Another alternative is STonehenge.  It is a ramdisk kit that connects to
the DMA (hard disk) port.  It allows 2 meg of 256 x 1 dynamic ram chips in
banks of 8.  I built one several months ago and have had very little
trouble.  It is available from:

          Contact: Ron Schreiner  (312) 520-8003
                   RONSAT Technologies Inc.
                   368 Lexington Drive.
                   Buffalo Grove, IL.  60089

          The STonehenge kit priced at $169.95 includes;

            a.  STonehenge ASIC,
            b.  Double sided PCB,
            c.  20MHZ crystal,
            d.  DB-19 connector,
            e.  Documentation,
            f.  Software,
            g.  PGA socket for the ASIC.

          The Documentation and Software can be ordered separately
          for $10.00 (refundable with future purchase).

          The builder of the kit must provide the DRAMs, a 5V 2A
          power supply, and a few miscellaneous components that are
          readily available from electronic suppliers.

          Additional support kits that provide all the components
          are also available.

          For more information or to order contact RONSAT
          Technologies Inc.  Voice: (312) 520-8003  Modem: (312)
          520-7812 Orders placed by modem receive a 5% discount.
          Dial-in (312) 520-7812, hit carriage return <return or
          enter> until "Login: " is the prompt, then enter
          "info"<return>.

I have a software patch if you do get it.  There was a small bug in the
software.

Bob Vixie
blv@hpctdlb.hp.com

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (09/29/89)

In article <2220025@hpctdlk.HP.COM>, blv@hpctdlk.HP.COM (Bob Vixie) writes:
> Another alternative is STonehenge.  It is a ramdisk kit that connects to
> the DMA (hard disk) port.  It allows 2 meg of 256 x 1 dynamic ram chips in
> banks of 8.  I built one several months ago and have had very little
> trouble.  It is available from:
>

>           Contact: Ron Schreiner  (312) 520-8003
>                    RONSAT Technologies Inc.
>                    368 Lexington Drive.
>                    Buffalo Grove, IL.  60089
>
>           The STonehenge kit priced at $169.95 includes;
>
>           For more information or to order contact RONSAT
>           Technologies Inc.  Voice: (312) 520-8003  Modem: (312)
>           520-7812 Orders placed by modem receive a 5% discount.
>           Dial-in (312) 520-7812, hit carriage return <return or
>           enter> until "Login: " is the prompt, then enter
>           "info"<return>.
>
> I have a software patch if you do get it.  There was a small bug in the
> software.
>
> Bob Vixie
> blv@hpctdlb.hp.com

	Does anyone know if RONSAT is planning to make a version of STonehenge
that uses the 1 meg ram chips?? It would be nice to have a 4 or even 8 meg
version!! That would make one nice RAMDISK!! Especially if it is battery backed
up, so that you don't lose memory between bootups!! Heck, with an 8 meg Ramdisk,
I could put my entire Mark Williams C compiler and really fly!!!

fodder
fodder
fodder
fodder
fodder
fodder
fodder
ff

Rich Covert

ritchie@hpldola.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie) (10/02/89)

>The E. Arthur Brown Company sells a cartridge port adapter.
>
>It interfaces the cartridge port to a standard 44 pin .156 spaced
>edge conector.  I'm not sure if any docs for i/o to the port are
>provided. It's only $14.95.
>
>           E. Arthur Brown Company
>	   4304 Pawnee Dr.
>	   Alexandria, MN 56308
>	   ph. (612) 762-8847

  And if you want any of these - order them now. After the current stock
is gone, here will be no more (The guy that did the board lives in Colorado
Springs and was telling me the other night that the board costs were going
out of sight, so this would be it).

				Dave Ritchie

blv@hpctdlk.HP.COM (Bob Vixie) (10/02/89)

> 	Does anyone know if RONSAT is planning to make a version of STonehenge
> that uses the 1 meg ram chips??
>
> Rich Covert

The ASIC chip in the kit is documented to have a 1 meg chip mode.  It could
go to 8 meg/board.  It would be a matter of redoing the PC board, or wire
wrapping.

Bob Vixie
blv@hpctdlb.hp.com