[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari modems

adw3345@ultb.UUCP (A.D. Williams) (10/01/89)

 I'm writing a small program that will send files to another computer
unattended. What I would like it to do is dial up another computer
at a predetermined time, and after handshaking, send the files.

 However, I would like to know how to detect a cut off connection, such
as if the host computer hangs up or line noise cuts off the carrier.
I could have some sort of protocol that would determine if the modem was
still on carrier, but I would idealy like to know the state of the
modem at any point of time.

                                                     Thanks,

                                                       Derrick

sgrimm@sun.com (Steven Grimm) (10/03/89)

In article <1344@ultb.UUCP> adw3345@ultb.UUCP (A.D. Williams) writes:
> However, I would like to know how to detect a cut off connection, such
>as if the host computer hangs up or line noise cuts off the carrier.

Carrier detect is at $fffa01, bit 1 (i.e., (*(char *)0xfffa01)&2), but
you'll have to be in supervisor mode to read that.  The GEMDOS Super()
or XBIOS Supexec() calls work well for this purpose.

Also, if you're tweaking DTR, keep in mind that Offgibit() requires a mask
to AND with, so if you want to turn off bit 0x10 you'll have to pass 0xef
to Offgibit().  This had me scratching my head for a while, as it's not
mentioned in any of the documentation I have.

---
This message is a figment of your imagination.  Any opinions are yours.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
sgrimm@sun.com		...!sun!sgrimm