[comp.sys.atari.st] Cartridge..ramdisk

ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) (09/16/89)

Does anyone have any plans or information for constructing, a ram cartridge
dor use as a ram drive.  I have heard of kits that allow for custom
aplications for the cartridge port. I have only heard this thru rumors.
Can anyone give e any pointers in the right direction or even sources
for such boards.
 -Ajay

In article <2539@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP (Ajay Choudhri) writes:
>Does anyone have any plans or information for constructing, a ram cartridge
>dor use as a ram drive.  I have heard of kits that allow for custom
>aplications for the cartridge port. I have only heard this thru rumors.
>Can anyone give e any pointers in the right direction or even sources
>for such boards.

I don't know about build-it-yourself kits, but Alpha Systems makes a line
of RAMboxes that plug into the cartridge port. Can be sized from 512K to
4Meg, with or without battery backup and clock. I have a 2Meg Ultradisk
with battery backup. This thing is pretty cool, expandable to 4Meg. You
can configure it for however many disk partitions you want, and can make
a partition bootable as well. I really like this feature, because I tend
to leave my hard drive off (too noisy) and I can stick auto-boot progs onto
that cartridge instead. You can also allocate up to 60K of the memory as
a printer buffer, which I've found to be pretty handy. No point in eating
up main memory for that...

Anyway.... I really like mine. Too bad I probably can't use it with any
other cartridge gizmos...

Obligatory disclaimer - I'm not related to Alpha Systems in any way other
than as a satisfied customer...
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

jg@hpldola.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) (10/02/89)

The Ultradisk sounds pretty cool, Howard, but your note immediately provoked
a rash of questions in my mind:

1) How much did it cost?
2) where can I get one?
3) How fast is it?  Comparable to a main memory Ramdisk or a harddisk?
   Transfer rate?
4) how big is it (physically)?
5) how long does the battery last?
6) you can auto boot from it? (you already answered this one)
7) is it compatible with harddisks? (and this one, but I'm runnning out
   of questions)
8) etc, etc, etc?

Expiring minds need to know!

Thanks!
Joe Gilray

In article <11830057@hpldola.HP.COM> jg@hpldola.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) writes:

>The Ultradisk sounds pretty cool, Howard, but your note immediately provoked
>a rash of questions in my mind:

Sorry for such an incomplete posting!  }-)  Some answers...

>1) How much did it cost?

I ordered mine at the Dearborn World of Atari Show, so they were discounted
somewhat. Came out to around $500 for the 2 meg cartridge (expandable to 4M).

>2) where can I get one?

I ordered directly from Alpha Systems. 216-374-7469, 24 hour, call 'em
and ask for a (free) catalog. I've seen other mail order places listing
their products, but don't have any names offhand...

>3) How fast is it?  Comparable to a main memory Ramdisk or a harddisk?
>   Transfer rate?

From Qindex13.PRG...
	A:	C:	N:
GEMDOS	97%	1147%	1451%
DMA	112%	6814%	4388%

The C drive is my Quantum 80 hard drive, the N drive is my first Ultradisk
partition. Kind of surprising that it's slower than the hard disk for DMA
operations... btw, 120ns RAMs are installed.

>4) how big is it (physically)?

It's kind of an L-shape, but when plugged in to the cart port, the remainder
is about 3-4" wide and 6" long...

>5) how long does the battery last?

The docs say "several hours" as long as the adapter jack has something plugged
into it. (Smart switch connected to the jack.) In practice, I've had the thing
completely powered down for about a week (went on vacation) and it still had
everything intact when I powered up the ST.

>6) you can auto boot from it? (you already answered this one)

Yep, you can autoboot, and you're supposed to be able to disable the autoboot
with the Ctrl-Shift keys, but I haven't been able to get this to work. As such,
I tend to use a program like bootedit to select auto programs & stuff. (For
those times when I need to boot from a floppy. Btw, Falcon runs great off
the Ultradisk.)

>7) is it compatible with harddisks? (and this one, but I'm runnning out
>   of questions)

Yep, I have no problems using it and the Supra autobooter...

>8) etc, etc, etc?

Hm... Well, since I have a Mega, I didn't get the clock option. It allows
using up to 60K as a printer buffer, which I find very handy. I haven't
opened it up yet, but expect to fill it to 4M sometime soon. (Heh - an 8 meg
ST. Cool stuff.) No technical specs for what the driver does, unfortunately.
No passthru for other cartridges either, also unfortunate. I'd like to use
it with Minix, but for now I'm sitting idle on that. Sorry I didn't measure
an in-RAM RAMdisks for comparison, but (understandably?) I don't keep any
of those around any more...

>Expiring minds need to know!
>
>Thanks!
>Joe Gilray

No prob. I'm always happy to brag about my computer.  (Usually to poor
benighted PC & Mac drones, but what the hell...  }-)