[comp.sys.atari.st] Ethernet, Atari?, and X Windows

tyler@stpl.UUCP (Tyler IVANCO) (09/30/89)

	We have developed an Ethernet device for the Mega ST and
ST (1040) line.  The Mega plugs into the unit and the 1040 version
runs off the DMA port.  In addition, it has 8 serial ports
and two parallel ports. However...

	We have only had the time to implement the KA9Q TCP/IP package
with this system and only in the mega version.  It runs quite nicely with
TCP/IP server functions such as telnet, ftp etc.

	What we would really like is to implement an X windows server for the
ST line.  In this regard, we understand that it has been done.  We also
understand that someone has implemented NFS for this system.  Does anyone
know who/where we can obtain the information from.

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/03/89)

In article <199@stpl.UUCP>, tyler@stpl.UUCP (Tyler IVANCO) writes:

> 	We have developed an Ethernet device for the Mega ST and
> ST (1040) line.  The Mega plugs into the unit and the 1040 version
> runs off the DMA port.  In addition, it has 8 serial ports
> and two parallel ports. However...
> 	We have only had the time to implement the KA9Q TCP/IP package
> with this system and only in the mega version.  It runs quite nicely with
> TCP/IP server functions such as telnet, ftp etc.
>
> 	What we would really like is to implement an X windows server for the

Like many STers out there I have two STs, both with 100 meg plus hard drives.
I would like to buy an ethernet system to link the two machines together.

Are you planning to release your Ethernet boards as commerical products??

If so, when??

The 8 serial ports would be nice also. Do the serial ports support hardware
flow control?? I.e. the RTS/CTS signals?? If not, could you add these signals
to your serial ports?? High speed modems such as the US Robotics HST can communicate
at upto 38400 baud and require hardware flow control between the ST and the modem.

As far as X Windows, I can't help you there.

Richard Covert

gjh@otter.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (10/04/89)

A cautionary note ...

There *was* a short discussion several weeks ago, initiated by someone's
misunderstanding about the "wm" U**x window terminal software. At least one
person thought that Xwindows had been ported to the ST. No-one was able to
confirm that X had been ported. A colleague suggests that a port might not be
as daunting a task as it might first appear, the ST appears to be one of the
types of m/c which the designers of X had in mind when they designed X.

I'd like to echo 1(M) the previous respondent's questions. I think there'd be a
*lot* of interest in networked, X-windowed STs, I mean, what an effective
non-dumb graphics terminal t'would make.

Graham
======

Graham Higgins             	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Hewlett-Packard Labs    	|  gray@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gray%hplb.uucp@ukc.ac.uk
U.K.                          	|  gray@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

decouty@irisa.fr (Bertrand Decouty) (10/05/89)

In EUUG (European UNIX systems User Group) newsletter, vol 9, No 2, summer 89,
there is a paper called:
 'X/ST/window' by Michael Gehret, mg@xsoft.uucp
which describes a port of X window server on Atari ST.
From the paper, X runs either through serial lines or through Ethernet (tcp-ip)
on ST (no mention of any ethernet card). It uses a new OS, called X/ST/multi,
"a multi-tasking operating system that is totally compatible to TOS".

The system requires 2 megabytes, but no hard disk. The software was
cross-developped on HP 9000/330 workstation.

xsoft= X/software, Gro"nenbach, West Germany.
This paper was the second article in the series on window sustems, presented
by William Roberts (Queen Mary College, London, UK), liam@qmc-cs.uucp.
Perhaps this person has the source of the paper...

That's all folks.

Bertrand decouty

| Bertrand DECOUTY             | EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr, decouty@irisa.uucp  |
| IRISA - INRIA                |         {uunet,mcvax,inria}!irisa!decouty     |
| Campus de Beaulieu           | PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00                      |
| F-35042 Rennes Cedex - FRANCE| FAX : +33  99 38 38 32 | TELEX: 950473 UNIRISA|

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (10/06/89)

> There *was* a short discussion several weeks ago, initiated by
> someone's misunderstanding about the "wm" U**x window terminal
> software. At least one person thought that Xwindows had been ported
> to the ST. No-one was able to confirm that X had been ported. A
> colleague suggests that a port might not be as daunting a task as
> it might first appear, the ST appears to be one of the types of m/c
> which the designers of X had in mind when they designed X.

HERE!

Article 17674 of comp.sys.atari.st:
From: H235_016%ccvax.ucd.ie@FORSYTHE.STANFORD.EDU (Padraig)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: X-Windows on the ST
Date: 8 Jun 89 18:07:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

In article <4500@UCDAVIS.UCDAVIS.EDU> HULSE@UCDAVIS.EDU ((Charle ) Andy Hulse) w
   rites

> I am interested in running an X environment on the ST. Is this possible ? I've
> read things here before, primarily from Europe, and I wonder what necessary
> hardware/software is required. Do I need Ethernet ? Or is there software to
> make the RS232 handle TCP/IP ?

   A German company, X-Software have ported X/Window server ( version 11
release 3 ) for the ST running under X/ST/Multi, a multi-tasking but TOS
compatible OS. It costs DM2000 ( approx #670 sterling ) for the software.
This  will give you  a 19200 baud serial  X/Window terminal. To make the
most of things however you can get Ethernet/CheaperNet from DM1500.

   Their address is :-

   X/Software,
   Sonnenstrasse 2,
   D-8944 Gronenbach, WG
   ( Telephone : 08337 1411 )

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$  GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING :-     $         Padraig O'hIceadha.             $
$ Studying is bad for your health.  $        H235_016@ccvax.UCD.ie            $
$...................................:.........................................$
$      Thank God my cheques don't bounce as often as my mail does,            $
$   But then maybe that's because I can't afford to write any cheques !       $

EVERYONE SAVE THIS ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!

 Scott D. Yelich                                 scott@cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (10/06/89)

I'm also interested in this rather appealing little gadget (the 8 serial
plus ethernet i/o board).  Commercial status ?  I'd settle for the
schematics plus board layout masks... (oh, and a parts callout).

	Ross