[comp.sys.atari.st] Copyright

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (10/07/89)

In article <1143@atha.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:
>andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes...
>
>Everyone, please, delete Andrew's postings from your machines right away.
>Andrew has _not_ given us permission to have or distribute copies.
>Indeed, he has specifically forbidden us to do so.
>
>Andrew, you have a legally binding but really very counterproductive
>notice in your posting.  How about a modified GNU copyleft instead
>(you may not copy unless your recipients may, et c.).  Or did you really
>mean to post something which no one may have or relay ??

Nonsense -- if someone posts something with a copyright, you can have a
copy, but you cannot republish it or claim that it is your own.  By
posting to the net, it is clear that net redistribution is OK.  What
would not be OK would be to remove the Copyright notice and sell it as
your own.

I always give away any software I write, but I also copyright it so that
it can't be ripped off -- I include a notice that free distribution is
permitted, but not incorporation in a commercial product.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2