[comp.sys.atari.st] STfm vs. ST

lake@ka3ovk.uucp (Marshall Lake) (10/04/89)

Does anyone know what the differences are between a STfm and an ST
internally?
I have a program that runs differently on an ST (520, 1040, Mega) vs.
an STfm.  The program bombs at a certain point on an STfm.
Is it possible that the ROM code is different on an STfm?  Is memory
configured differently?

Marshall Lake
lake@ka3ovk.UUCP

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (10/04/89)

The ST and the STFM should be idedical, but
changes are that the ST has TOS 1.0 and the STFM TOS 1.2
and many copy protected games that were designed for TOS 1.0 won't
start on TOS 1.2 (at least that's happening over here :-)

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /  ____ ______
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /  /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/  ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave 'Yes, I'm weird' Newton) (10/05/89)

   I thought the STfm added the high-density (720k) drive, but besides that
were identical?

--
David L. Newton       |      dnewton@carroll1.UUCP     | Quote courtesy of
(414) 524-7343 (work) |     dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu    | Marie Niechwiadowicz,

pi@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Peter J Ikusz) (10/07/89)

In article <717@carroll1.UUCP> dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave 'Yes, I'm weird' Newton) writes:

>   I thought the STfm added the high-density (720k) drive, but besides that
>were identical?

The difference is:
When the first 1040 came out it was called the 1040st.
Approx. 1 or 2 mos later the name was changed to 1040stf.
Later it was changed to 1040stfm.

The difference from the 1040st to the 1040stf is:
Some origional 1040's had floppy problems. I believe the manufacturer
was Sony. When Sony coerrected the problem they changed the name to
1040stf. F standing for fixed. This happened in about Jan or Feb of '86.

This I know, I worked at a computer store that sold ST's.

I believe the m in 1040stfm stands for modulator. The motherboard was
slightly changed for the modulator, even though some did not come
with one.
"Poachers shooting at rabbits will scare the big game away"
From: DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
pi@csd4-UWisconsin Milwaukee