[comp.sys.atari.st] Atarifest in Va.

ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) (10/08/89)

Just got back from atarifest at fairfax high school in Va, and had the oppurtunity to see some interesting stuff. I didnt stay long.
Dave Small had GCR's n sale and was showing it off on his Stacy which I
think is great for its price.  The stacy he had, had a 40meg HD and a label
"STACYA". anyway, DC software was there, and they had a demo of their new desktop "NEO/GOGO" deal, not completed but it looked good.
A decent amount of dealers were there, good prices on the ICD stuff.
Codehead, FaST tech(ICD), BEST electronics.
their mouse is excellent, but the Visionary mouse is even better. Checked both
and bought the BEST mouse becuase it was cheaper.
Toadfile was being sold, decent deal.
CUrrent Notes/ Alpha Microsystems/ Lantech/and others were there.
It was crowded.
They had Portfolio's. its nice but I dont think it'll rasie my level of productivity.
The guy who rigged the 19inch moniterm had dveloped a card for one of those
Multiscan 19inch monitors.
I stayed away from the Game room and the Ms-dos room(no interest here)
There was minor price gouging, nothing serious.
Michtron had Pc-speed but no demo.
and I waited around for Sig Hartmann to speak. he gave some drivel about him resigning because the Stacy didnt' ship by the end of September.
Lynx will ship within a month, TT will be shipping by the end of the year.
Portfolio's are sellign well, and he landed a major bank in the NYC area for DTPsystems.  Some stuff about advertising, nothing specific.
on the whole, my three hour tour was good.
 -Ajay CHoudhri

dat_08@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Jared Brennan) (10/08/89)

In article <2824@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP (Ajay Choudhri) writes:
>Just got back from atarifest at fairfax high school in Va,
>The stacy he [Dave Small] had, had a 40meg HD and a label
>"STACYA".
 ^^^^^^^
Actually, "STacy4" was on the label.  4Mbytes!
Yow!  Nice portable!  Room for two drives, one of them a hard disk, even.
NICE keyboard, readable screen.  Hope Atari is actually able to sell them.
Another portable?  And not even MS-Dos compatible?  <shudder>
Price?  Sandy Small was saying probably < $3000, Sig Hartmann was
saying "Reasonable."

>their [BEST] mouse is excellent, but the Visionary mouse is even better.
>Checked both and bought the BEST mouse becuase it was cheaper.
Wonderful.  I suppose you bought the BEST Macintosh emulator because it
was cheaper than the Magic Sac.

>It was crowded.
It was crowded, and they had an extra room for dealers, although it
was a rather less crowded in there than at the main room.

>The guy who rigged the 19inch moniterm had dveloped a card for
>one of those Multiscan 19inch monitors.
I missed this -- could you post the information, if possible?

> -Ajay CHoudhri

    Well, beyond what Ajay saw, I talked to the rep for Gribnif Software
for a while, and they'll soon have new versions of NeoDesk for different
countries and languages.  Some of these are completed already.  I forget
which; I've already got my copy. 8-)

    I liked the 19" Moniterm.  NeoDesk certainly seems to support it.
Too bad I don't have $2000 lying around which I'm not using for
tuition or food.

    My main gripe, aside from the presence of BEST, is the door prize
system -- "If you do not pick up your prize within 15 minutes, it will
be forfeit."  Ah, well, it was an interesting fair nonetheless.