[comp.sys.atari.st] Free RAM from Atari

src@cs.odu.edu (Scott R. Chilcote) (10/04/89)

Sorry if this message is a repeat.  I was told that nobody saw it go by at
a couple of local nodes...

  I opened my Mega 2 last week to install TOS 1.4, and discovered a TRULY
AMAZING thing.  The machine had a complete set of RAM chips, a total of
FOUR MEGABYTES worth, installed!!

  I was freaked out!  The machine was shipped in a Mega 2 box, and all of my
system utilities agreed that it had two megabytes of RAM operating.  And
yet, there, on the motherboard, I had thirty-two 1-meg RAM chips, FOUR MEGs
worth!  (One strange thing about the computer, though -- it was supplied with
a Mega ST4 sticker on the front.  The bottom of the machine, however, had a
Mega 2 sticker.  The salesman told me that it was a mistake that had happened
on a couple of Mega 2s they'd been shipped.)

  Somehow, Atari had disabled the second bank of RAM and sold this unit as
a two-megger!  The question was, how?  I looked at the board and the
schematics, and found no handy jumpers, no labels of any kind.  It was even
speculated that perhaps bad chips had been used.

  Not so!

  I took the board out completely and went over the bottom side.  After
intensive searching, I found that the RAS2* line -- the Row Address Strobe
for the upper banks of memory, had not been soldered.  I soldered.

  So, for the cost of soldering one pin of one IC to the motherboard,  I
have a FOUR MEGABYTE computer!!

  THANKS, ATARI!  <several gripes forgiven!>

  Next, I'm going to be peering around in there for a 25 MHz 68030 chip
with some unsoldered leads!

Usenet: src@xanth.UUCP
DDN:    src%xanth.cs.odu.edu

|.--------------------------------..---------------------------------------.|
|| Usenet: src@xanth.UUCP         ||                                       ||
||   Arpa: src@xanth.cs.odu.edu   ||    Q: Why did the chicken cross the   ||
||  Earth: Scott R. Chilcote      ||       Moebus Strip?                   ||
||                                ||                                       ||
||     |||     "Sure, Jack, we    ||    A: To get to... er...  umm...      ||
||     |||   trust you.  But will ||                                       ||
||    / | \   will you respect us ||        -----=====#####=====-----      ||
||   /  |  \     in the morning?" ||                                       ||
|:________________________________:'---------------------------------------'|
'---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

landry@enginr.dec.com (10/09/89)

In article <10085@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, src@cs.odu.edu (Scott R. Chilcote) writes...
"
"  I opened my Mega 2 last week to install TOS 1.4, and discovered a TRULY
"AMAZING thing.  The machine had a complete set of RAM chips, a total of
"FOUR MEGABYTES worth, installed!!
"
"	<etc>
"
"  So, for the cost of soldering one pin of one IC to the motherboard,  I
"have a FOUR MEGABYTE computer!!
"

	My guess is that this was a Mega 4 that didn't pass the checkout.
	In the same way that chip makers sell slow chips at slower specs,
	Atari is probably selling Mega 4 fallouts as Mega 2's.  It's
	probably cheaper for them to give away the chips than to repair
	the boards (on the average).  So you got lucky!

	chris

src@cs.odu.edu (Scott R. Chilcote) (10/10/89)

In article <5261@shlump.nac.dec.com> landry@enginr.dec.com writes:
>"
>"  So, for the cost of soldering one pin of one IC to the motherboard,  I
>"have a FOUR MEGABYTE computer!!
>"
>
>	My guess is that this was a Mega 4 that didn't pass the checkout.
>	So you got lucky!
>
>	chris

  I originally suspected this, but there's no evidence to support your
belief.  The (now) Mega 4 has been operating flawlessly as a four-Meg machine
for several days now.  Also, the method by which the upper banks were disabled
doesn't support the possibility of the machine ever having been intended to
function as a Mega 4.  When the RAS2* pin was left _unsoldered_, rather than
clippied or disconnected, no test could have been made of the machine with
all four Megabytes operating.

  At this point, it seems that it must have been less expensive for Atari to
make some machines with all of the RAM filled than to make two production runs
separately, one for each size machine.  In order for that to have happened,
Atari must have either been WAY behind on Mega 2 deliveries, or have gotten a
_very_ good price on 1 Megabyte DRAMs!

                                                                Scott