[comp.sys.atari.st] Avant-Garde's PC_DDRVR.SYS

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (10/09/89)

Lars-Erik Osterud recently pointed out that you can use
Avant-Garde's PC_DDRVR.SYS to read normal ST disks on a PC.
This works fine, and I just wanted to add a comment on how bright the
software is -- my NEC Ultralite installs a RAMdisk as drive C, and the
driver routine (which normally creates logical drives C and D) spots
this and creates logical drives D and E as ST equivalents to A and B.

There is a noticable change in performance, since if I run DIR B: on a
PC disk the display scrolls smoothly, but if I run DIR E: on an ST disk
(in the same drive) the display jerks by.  But that is pretty minor I
suspect.  I haven't yet tried editing an Atari WP file on a PC!

I'm a bit hesitant to try this trick on the monster I have at work,
a 386 with three floppy drives and five HD partitions -- will
PC_DDRVR.SYS duplicate all three drives, just the one 3-1/2" drive,
or what?  Anyone have any ideas what the side effects might be?

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

kron%aiki@Sun.COM (Kenneth Kron) (10/10/89)

From article <1989Oct8.202742.10601@cs.dal.ca>, by silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert):
> Lars-Erik Osterud recently pointed out that you can use
> Avant-Garde's PC_DDRVR.SYS to read normal ST disks on a PC.
> --
> Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
> 	UUCP: ...!{uunet,watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
> 	Internet: biomel@cs.dal.CA	BITNET: bs%dalcs@dalac.BITNET

How do you get pc_ddrvr.sys, is this sold as PC software or what ?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

Kenneth Kron
-----
The opinions I expressed were mine, the opinions you formed are yours.
kron@eng.sun.com

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (10/10/89)

I don't know any other way to get PC-DDRVR.SYS than to buy PC-Ditto or
copy it from somebody that has PC-Ditto.  Again this would be illegal
(if somebody from Avant-Garde doesn't free PC_DDRVR.SYS from copyright)

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (10/10/89)

In article <126044@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> kron%aiki@Sun.COM (Kenneth Kron) writes:
>From article <1989Oct8.202742.10601@cs.dal.ca>, by silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert):
>> Lars-Erik Osterud recently pointed out that you can use
>> Avant-Garde's PC_DDRVR.SYS to read normal ST disks on a PC.
>
>How do you get pc_ddrvr.sys, is this sold as PC software or what ?
>
>Inquiring minds wanna know!

It comes with PC Ditto.  Whether they will sell it separately I don't
know.  Inquiring minds will have to write Avant-Garde.

--

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (10/10/89)

In article <126044@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, kron%aiki@Sun.COM (Kenneth Kron) writes:
> From article <1989Oct8.202742.10601@cs.dal.ca>, by silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert):
> > Lars-Erik Osterud recently pointed out that you can use
> > Avant-Garde's PC_DDRVR.SYS to read normal ST disks on a PC.
>
> How do you get pc_ddrvr.sys, is this sold as PC software or what ?

pc_ddrvr.sys is a TSR program supplied with PC-Ditto to allow ATARI
partitions D,E,F etc to be accessed from MS/DOS running under the
emulater.  It has no other magical properties.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com