[comp.sys.atari.st] VI

krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) (10/06/89)

I would love to use vi at home.  Is their a public domain version for the ST
floating around anywhere?

=									=
=	The Marvel Historian				A. Krieg	=
=									=
=		G.E. Medical Systems - CT - New Berlin, WI		=
= 	   	     USENET: krieg@jupiter.med.ge.com			=
=									=

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (10/07/89)

In article <1139@mrsvr.UUCP> krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) writes:
>I would love to use vi at home.  Is their a public domain version for the ST
>floating around anywhere?

There is an ST VI editor called STEVIE.  It's latest version (I think)
is 3.44.  I have TRIED to use it, but it constantly crashes on me.  The
cursor control is the culprit.  I run a BBS, and I have tried to use
this to edit text files.  I always end up rebooting after it crashes and
using WordPerfect instead.

If anybody knows of any other VI editors that DON'T crash, please let me
know!

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Call the ACORN BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud     | 3) Coke Classic

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (10/07/89)

In article <1382@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>In article <1139@mrsvr.UUCP> krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) writes:
>>I would love to use vi at home.  Is their a public domain version for the ST
>>floating around anywhere?
>
>If anybody knows of any other VI editors that DON'T crash, please let me
>know!

I have a VI for the ST that works fine.  I don't recall whether I have
the documentation, and I don't know who wrote it, but I have been using
it for a while and it is fine (I usually run it from Gulam, but it works
from the desktop too).

If no one else has the complete package, I can look for the
documentation and either mail it out or repost, depending on the amount
of interest.  But perhaps one of the archive sites has it?

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

orc@pell.uucp (david parsons) (10/08/89)

On 6 Oct 89 14:23:11 GMT, krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) wrote:
>I would love to use vi at home.  Is their a public domain version for the ST
>floating around anywhere?

  Yes, there are at least two:

  1) Levee, written by me; it's available on Bix for certain; it may be in
     some of the archives.
  2) Stevi (or some similar name), written by Tony Andrews (?); also available
     on Bix; I *know it's available on some of the archives, because there
     was discussion of it a while back.

 -david parsons

thurlow@convex.com (Robert Thurlow) (10/08/89)

orc@pell.uucp (david parsons) writes:

>On 6 Oct 89 14:23:11 GMT, krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) wrote:
>>I would love to use vi at home.  Is their a public domain version for the ST
>>floating around anywhere?
>  1) Levee, written by me; it's available on Bix for certain; it may be in
>     some of the archives.

David, has Levee been fixed yet?  I like it a whole lot (most complete
features set I've seen on an ST), but I can't use it if pressing a key
during scrolling is going to crash the program and lose everything.  I
just can't count on my habits changing to avoid this, so I've been using
Emacsen (sigh) - they force me to think differently.  Let us know ...

Rob T
--
Rob Thurlow - Expatriate Canadian                      thurlow@convex.com
"From the heart of 'The Friendship State'"

pa1038@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (Jon McCarty) (10/11/89)

In article <1382@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>In article <1139@mrsvr.UUCP> krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) writes:
>>I would love to use vi at home.  Is their a public domain version for the ST
>>floating around anywhere?
>>
>There is an ST VI editor called STEVIE.  It's latest version (I think)
>is 3.44.  I have TRIED to use it, but it constantly crashes on me.  The
>cursor control is the culprit.  I run a BBS, and I have tried to use
>this to edit text files.  I always end up rebooting after it crashes and
>using WordPerfect instead.
>
>If anybody knows of any other VI editors that DON'T crash, please let me
>know!

I remember thinking the same thing when I d/loaded STEVIE when it
came across a couple of months ago.  The cursors were screwed up &
it crashed all the time.

After some digging around, I found the original source off
comp.sources.unix (I think...anyway, it was a version with all the
portability macros intact) and re-compiled with Laser C.

Wa-La!  The version I compiled was much more robust and almost 1/2 the size!
(well, ~90K instead of 100+whatever)  Haven't gotten around to
fixing any more bugs yet  (like hitting 'n' w/out previous reg-exp)

If anyone wants the volume number of the archive, I could probably dig it up.

					----Jon
					(internet: jmccarty@ucsd.edu)
					(bitnet? what's that?? @8-)