[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari ST Emulator for Amiga

pa1329@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (pa1329) (10/05/89)

(From comp.sys.amiga)
In article <12803@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>     It's an Australian hack, boots on a 68000 or 68020, and is specifically
>public domain. It requires a bootable TOS disk to get started - I presume
>this includes TOSbench, or whatever they call it. (TOS disks can be purchased
>from local Atari dealers, if you've got one.) It will, according to its doc
>file, boot most game floppies as well.

Atari, what is your comment on this?   I wonder how can TOS be sold
on disk to non-Atari owners?

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (10/09/89)

In article <1234@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU> pa1329@sdcc13.ucsd.edu writes:
>(From comp.sys.amiga)
>In article <12803@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>>     It's an Australian hack, boots on a 68000 or 68020, and is specifically
>>public domain. It requires a bootable TOS disk to get started - I presume
>>this includes TOSbench, or whatever they call it. (TOS disks can be purchased
>>from local Atari dealers, if you've got one.) It will, according to its doc
>>file, boot most game floppies as well.
>
>Atari, what is your comment on this?   I wonder how can TOS be sold
>on disk to non-Atari owners?

This is certainly no worse than ST or Amiga owners buying Macintosh ROMs for
Spectre or Amax.  What makes the ST specially inviolate?

However, there hasn't yet been any evidence that this ST emulator for the
Amiga actually exists, anyway...

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CompuServe: 73047,1112
     @       * *     //   ....ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo  ^^^-VERY slow [months]
R Pentomino    *   \X/    Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 & XBBS +408-476-4945

wsflinn@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Scott Flinn) (10/11/89)

In article <55.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:
>In article <1234@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU> pa1329@sdcc13.ucsd.edu writes:
>>(From comp.sys.amiga)
>>In article <12803@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>>>               It requires a bootable TOS disk to get started - I presume
>>>this includes TOSbench, or whatever they call it. (TOS disks can be purchased
>>>from local Atari dealers, if you've got one.)
>>
>>Atari, what is your comment on this?   I wonder how can TOS be sold
>>on disk to non-Atari owners?
>
>This is certainly no worse than ST or Amiga owners buying Macintosh ROMs for
>Spectre or Amax.  What makes the ST specially inviolate?

The difference, as I have been lead to believe it, is that Mac owners
can buy Mac ROMs from Apple dealers.  ST owners cannot buy disk based
TOS from ANYWHERE.  Am I wrong?  Where CAN I buy it?

Cheers,
Scott
--
Me:      Scott Flinn                   /  "If it doesn't fit, force it.
Domain:  wsflinn@watcgl.waterloo.edu  /  If it breaks, then it didn't