[comp.sys.atari.st] uudecode

20370843@wsuvm1.BITNET (12/07/86)

Date:         Sat, 06 Dec 86 12:36:19 PLT
From:         "Brian L. Henry" <20370843@WSUVM1>
Subject:      uudecode

1.  Has anybody got C source for uudecode?  I have assembly source but have
trouble making an executable file with it (anybody use A-Seka?).  Does anybody
on bitnet know of a program for CMS which can do the uudecoding before you
download?

2.  Is it possible to produce composite color output with an ST rigged to
produce only RGB?  I have a composite RF modulator for my old VIC-20 I'd like
to use for the ST, if possible.

3.  How can we access the PD Atari stuff (at score?) from Bitnet?  Is there
anybody out there willing to send me a list of games/utilities that are avail-
able?

Thanks in advance,
B. Henry    20370843@wsuvm1.bitnet

jhs@mitre-bedford.ARPA.UUCP (12/10/86)

I will answer a subset of your questions.  I hope someebody else will fill in
the other answers.

"1.  Has anybody got C source for uudecode?..."
I have both encode and decode programs in c which I have not tried but which
were said to be very standard so that they will work with most compilers and
systems.  I am forwarding copies under separate cover.

"2.  Is it possible to produce composite color output with an ST rigged to
produce only RGB?..."
I am not familiar with what's on the ST board, but if they ship some with
composite or TV modulator outputs then probably there is a place on the board
for an "NTSC encoder" chip.  If so, you might buy the part from a service
dealer and install it.  You might even get their TV modulator also and not
bother with the VIC-20 one.  ... On the other hand, if I am wrong and there is
no slot for the encoder, you can still build up one externally.  In fact, I am
trying to persuade a cousin of mine who is an expert video circuit designer
to develop and market such a gadget (as well as the other side of the coin,
the NTSC to RGB converter to let ST owners run their VCR through the ST's
monitor).  The more clamor for such devices I can show him, the sooner he is
likely to take me seriously and develop these products.

One person who would know for sure about installing the device on the board
would be Paul Swanson of Nite Lite Systems.  He can be reached via BBS at
(617) 663-4221.  Nite Lite Systems is the manufacturer of the fairly
well-known Nite Lite BBS system for the 8-bit Atari computers, and is also an
ST sales and service dealer.  Paul is both proprietor and technical expert on
hardware and software for all Atari computers.  If such an installation can be
done, he can do it for you.

-John Sangster / jhs@MITRE-bedford.arpa

INFIPA7@HENTHT5.BITNET.UUCP (12/11/86)

Hi,

I recently get your digest over atari st. You also sent me uudecoded files.
But there is really one problem: What is uudecode? How can i get this pro-
gram (either for the Vax or Atari)? How can i use it?

                                                 Sietze

Peck@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA (Rodney) (12/18/86)

mnetor!utzoo!utcsri!utegc!utai!garfield!dalcs!silvert@seismo.css.gov writes:

>I have had no trouble whatsoever uudecoding on either a VAX or Wicat
>system.  Why shouldn't it work?  You are only translating codes to
>bytes.  It may be that the version of uudecode doesn't work right.

  Right! It doesn't work right!

   Possible reasons:
  1. completely incorrect uudecode algorithm (or incorrectly coded)
  2. different uudecode algorithm than the one the file was encoded with
  3. hardware complications
       Multics is strange. It runs on a honeywell DPS-8 I believe. It is
a 36 bit system which uses 9 bits for a byte. Its possible that the binary
transfer is causing problem because I don't know what it is doing with the
ninth bit.
       Paul Smee (the instigator of this series of messages) is also on a
multics system so he will face the same problems as I am.
       For anyone not familiar with the inner workings of uuencode, there
is a bit of bit manipulation going on, and the 9th bit kind of throws a
wrench (spanner for you englishmen) into the works.

       I'm still working on the problem on and off, if I get it working,
I'll be sure to annoy everyone around the globe by posting the pl/1 source
for uudecode. (maybe encode too)

     'cheers',
   rodney

PS:  I have three final exams tomorrow so any opinions I may appear to have
     are those obtained subliminially from constant reading of techniques
     of integration....
   REMEMBER:  the integral of V dU = UV - the integral of U dV !

pes@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk (Paul Smee) (12/22/86)

Still looking at this one.  Given my impression of the range of people having
the problems, I doubt it's human error.  Means there's a bug in one of:

  <Host> uudecode
  <Host> binary kermit
  <Some particular ST> binary kermit

(where <Host> means some specific combination of OS+hardware, or some small
set of such -- since most people don't see it.  I suspect it's some particular
verson of U**x or (less likely) of V*X/VMS -- maybe even the popular
Berkely 4.2bsd on one particular hardware setup.)

I've now got one tiny, and incomplete, bit of evidence, but it's a start.
I e-mailed a copy of Uniterm to a lady at Sussex.  She uudecoded it on her
big machine, and binary transferred the result to the ST.  It didn't run.
I posted her a disk copy of my UUDECODE.  She transferred the encoded file
to her ST, UUDECODEd there, and it ran.

A comparison of the 2 ARC files (one good, one bad) resulted in 1350
differences, apparently (by eye scan) all of one bit.  There was no obvious
pattern either as to which bit in a byte, or as to 'spacing' of the bytes.
They all appeared (quick scan, agan) to be in the same 'direction' -- that
is, the bad file had a bit on which should have been off (or vice versa,
my data's hiding on an inaccessible machine right now, but for sure all the
same direction).

So, someone's got a bug.  If anyone else finds a similar looking problem,
it would help, I think, if they could re-UUENCODE the 'bad' file, and
do a char diffs between the received UUENCODEd and the regenerated
UUENCODEd, to see if some particular char or sequence is implicated.  It
would be nice to track this down.  (It offends me even if I can't duplicate it
on my machine that such a bug should be allowed to live...)

Cheers, Paul

pes@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk (Paul Smee) (12/23/86)

Caught it.  It's none of the above, but rather one of (a) some version of
uuencode or (b) some beknighted gateway or comms implementation.

The character causing problems (in uuencoded UNITERM) is the tilde, or
twiddle, (or ~) character.  Some uuencoded programs contain twiddles.
Some uudecodes (e.g. mine) will handle twiddles.  However, twiddle **IS NOT**
in the 'official' UUENCODE character set.

From a look at the files, it appears that the twiddles are replacing caret,
or hat, or not (or ^) characters.  (Note that twiddle is ASCII 176 octal,
and hat is 136 octal.)

So, it looks like the answer is (a) if you're having uudecode problems,
check to see if there are twiddles in the file, and if so, turn them into
hats; and (b) to solve the new problem, of which UUENCODE generates files
containing twiddles, or possibly, which machine changes hats to twiddles
as the files get transmitted through...

Thanks to Leila Burrell-Davis at Sussex for her help in chasing this...

PV9Y@cornella.BITNET.UUCP (02/18/87)

Date: 17 February 87 20:24 EST
From: PV9Y@CORNELLA
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

This is an unqualified THANK YOU to Jean-Pierre Dumas for his new
improved uudecode that eliminates the need to mess around with editting
files for decoding.  I heartily endorse this program as one of the most
useful ever if you do any file downloading.
                          Adam Engst
pv9y@cornella.bitnet
engst%tcgould.tn.cornell.edu@crnlcs.bitnet

mh4x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Edward Hamill) (09/14/87)

Where can I get a version of UUDecode that I can port off of the next
(Make that net)  without having UUdecode to decode it?

Mark Hamill

cw@vaxwaller.UUCP (Carl Weidling) (09/15/87)

In article <AVGsVly00Ug1FeA05=@andrew.cmu.edu>, mh4x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Edward Hamill) writes:
> Where can I get a version of UUDecode that I can port off of the next
> (Make that net)  without having UUdecode to decode it?
>
> Mark Hamill

	Someone asked about this before, and I seemed to recall that someone
had posted a version of uudecode in BASIC.  I looked through my mass of saved
postings and couldn't find it though.  Maybe that's the solution for some
people.  If someone has it, they could repost it; or someone could rewrite it
and post it.
	The other solution for someone like Mark Hamill would probably be to
contact a user's group, or check magazines for places that provide diskettes
of collected public domain software, maybe even Atari can provide it?
Regards,
Carl Weidling

leo@sunybcs.uucp (Leo Wilson) (09/16/87)

In article <1089@vaxwaller.UUCP> cw@vaxwaller.UUCP (Carl Weidling) writes:
>In article <AVGsVly00Ug1FeA05=@andrew.cmu.edu>, mh4x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Edward Hamill) writes:
>> Where can I get a version of UUDecode that I can port off of the next
>> (Make that net)  without having UUdecode to decode it?
>	Someone asked about this before, and I seemed to recall that someone
>had posted a version of uudecode in BASIC.  I looked through my mass of saved

I'm pretty sure this is available for anonymous ftp from the case site...
Haven't chacked in a few weeks, but I remember seeing it there in the past.
-----
Leo E. Wilson 364 West Delavan Avenue Buffalo, NY 14213
(716)883-7573(leo@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU)...!sunybcs!leo

NETWORK@FRSAC11.BITNET (09/21/87)

Date: 21 September 1987, 17:06:06 GMT
From: NETWORK  at FRSAC11
To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE

About uudecoding:
I can provide uue.ttp and uud.ttp in simple hex format, so that anyone
can get the binary up without anything else than almost any language.
No need for arc or uudecode for that.
Just ask for it.

Jean-Pierre H. Dumas

network@frsac11 (bitnet)
network%frsac11.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu (arpanet)
dumas@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (arpanet)

JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET (J.J. Lehett) (09/27/88)

    Any help here would be greatly appreciated.  I am sort of in a catch 22.
I need UUdecode, but most of the UUDecodes I have seen on the net are already
uuencoded.  I saw one that was in St basic, but I have absolutely no success
in decoding any files with the uue extension with it yes.  Is it possible for
someone to send me a Uudecode program that is not in BAS or in UUE format but
either TOS or PRG.
                  Thanks in advance!
                                    J.J.
-------

=                     =                                               =
-   J.J. Lehett       -       "Now that he holds it                   -
=    (JJL101@PSUVM)   =        He knows this treasure                 =
-                     -        Above all others:                      -
-      Zeta Psi       -        Faith so certain                       -
=                     =        Shall never be shaken                  =
-          P.S.U.     -        By heaviest sorrow."   - Bhagavad-Gita -
=                     =                                               =

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (03/28/89)

I grabbed the metafont arc files from the binary group when they were posted
and I am having trouble de-arcing them.  The metafont arc is broken into
6 pieces of less then 32 K.  At the end of the files is the statement
'include metafont.uuX'.  I have tried uudecode on unix and on the atari.
I have tried it on the files seperately and I even cat'ed the files
together and tried it.  I created one big file and removed all the non
uudecode statements and tried that.

What is the correct procedure to uudecode a set of files that are in parts?
I have a mailbox containing the readnews arc/uudecode messages.  What do
I do next?

ALso, I am in a rush to get metafont working.  Anyone out there have a place I
can ftp the .arc file from?

And finally, while I have your attention, anyone have source to a program
that will dearc the .arc files from him1 on  a unix machine?  I have a
unix machine with the .arc files I ftp'ed but some are over 720K.  My unix
can write dos floppies so if I get the files under 720 K I don't have to
kermit them to my atari... I can DOSxfer them.
                                                                 _
"Shadow, do something!  Those flying       Morpheous            / \
 birds are going to get us!"               Psimon              / _ \
                                           shadow master      / //\ \
"O.k., o.k., I'll cast                      Dav El II        / // \\ \
 Transmute Roc to mud."                                     / /____\\ \
                                           We are the      /________\\ \
                                           warrior spirit. \__________\/

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (03/30/89)

In article <12777@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) writes:
> I grabbed the metafont arc files from the binary group when they were posted
> and I am having trouble de-arcing them.  The metafont arc is broken into
> 6 pieces of less then 32 K.  At the end of the files is the statement
> 'include metafont.uuX'.  I have tried uudecode on unix and on the atari.
> I have tried it on the files seperately and I even cat'ed the files
> together and tried it.  I created one big file and removed all the non
> uudecode statements and tried that.
>
> What is the correct procedure to uudecode a set of files that are in parts?
> I have a mailbox containing the readnews arc/uudecode messages.  What do
> I do next?
>
> ALso, I am in a rush to get metafont working.  Anyone out there have a place I
> can ftp the .arc file from?
>
> And finally, while I have your attention, anyone have source to a program
> that will dearc the .arc files from him1 on  a unix machine?  I have a
> unix machine with the .arc files I ftp'ed but some are over 720K.  My unix
> can write dos floppies so if I get the files under 720 K I don't have to
> kermit them to my atari... I can DOSxfer them.
>                                                                  _

I found out how to use uud by reading the source code. I had the same problems
with the recent ckermit posts. It turns out that uue will break a large (>100K??)
file into smaller parts. This was done with the ckermit ARC file. I found out that
the first file includes the second, the second file includes the third file, and
so on until you get to the last file.

With the ckermit posts the files should be named:

ckermit1.uue  (or anything)
kerm_exe.uab
kerm_exe.uac
kerm_exe.uad
kerm_exe.uae

This is because uue named the files this when it split them. My problem was that I
renamed them when I saved them from the USENET newsgroup. It wasn't until after I
read the source code to uue/uud that I discovered how to rename the files to
rebuild the original KERM_EXE.ARC file from its components.

I haven't tried to decode the metafont files yets, but they must work the same
way. By the way, I don't believe that the UNIX uuencode/uudecode splits large files
into smaller files the way the DUMAS uue/uue programs do.

About the ARC program. ARC521 has a bug which causes it to create ARCed files larged
then the sum of the individual files in some cases. This has been witnessed extensively
with the ST version of ARC521. The authoer of ARC521 denies that this problem exists,
but it can be replicated with certain files.

So, I don't want to upload the source code to ARC521 unless the author fixes that bug
first.

aaa
aa

krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) (10/11/89)

What does it mean when uudecode gives the message "short file"?  Obviously
it is an error of some sort, because the files extracted are cut off.  I also
sometimes get an error simply stated "Error 0".  This occurs after a previous
part has failed.  Does uudecode add to a previous file sometimes?  If I try
to get the binary again, will it still fail, or is the error perhaps
generated in the mail transfer?  Any info is appreciated.