[comp.sys.atari.st] Can I separate the keyboard from the computer?

loki@moncam.co.uk (Never Kid A Kidder) (09/29/89)

Thanks to all those who helped me out with AES/VDI.

Next question: I've seen inside my 520 ST, and I've seen the 17 wire
connection from the keyboard to the rest of the computer.  Now I would
like to make the keyboard separate, but I don't know if adding a whole
length of cable (say two metres) will affect the operation.  Has
anyone else tried this, or can anyone say if the connection needs to be
as short as it already is?

Thanks if anyone can help.
--
   Harry Fearnhamm,         EMAIL: harry@moncam.co.uk
    Monotype ADG,                  ...!ukc!acorn!moncam!harry

laba-1aj@e260-1b.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (10/03/89)

In article <LOKI.89Sep29125354@marvin.moncam.co.uk> loki@moncam.co.uk (Never Kid A Kidder) writes:
>Next question: I've seen inside my 520 ST, and I've seen the 17 wire
>connection from the keyboard to the rest of the computer.  Now I would
>like to make the keyboard separate, but I don't know if adding a whole
>length of cable (say two metres) will affect the operation.  Has
>anyone else tried this, or can anyone say if the connection needs to be
>as short as it already is?
>
>Thanks if anyone can help.
>--
>   Harry Fearnhamm,         EMAIL: harry@moncam.co.uk
>    Monotype ADG,                  ...!ukc!acorn!moncam!harry
>    Science Park,           VOICE: +44 (0)223 420018
>     Cambridge,	            FAX:   +44 (0)223 420911
>      CB4 4FQ,
>      ENGLAND.

Does anyone whether is is possible to connect a mega keyboard to the old
machines?  I'm thinking of sticking my 520 into a box, and wiring a
port for a mega keyboard would be something I'd really like to do.

&  John Kawakami
&  laba-1aj@web.berkeley.edu
&  Live each day as if it were your first

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (10/04/89)

In article <LOKI.89Sep29125354@marvin.moncam.co.uk> loki@moncam.co.uk (Never Kid A Kidder) writes:
>Next question: I've seen inside my 520 ST, and I've seen the 17 wire
>connection from the keyboard to the rest of the computer.
But only 5 connect the keyboard subsystem to the main processor
>  Now I would
>like to make the keyboard separate, but I don't know if adding a whole
>length of cable (say two metres) will affect the operation.  Has
>anyone else tried this, or can anyone say if the connection needs to be
>as short as it already is?

My cable is 1.5 meters long. Works fine:

Find out the 5 wires for the serial interface: Send Data, Receive Data,
+5 Volts, Ground and -RESET.

Connect two 9-pin D-Sub connectors to the 17-wire connector. Now You
connect Mouse an joystick to the keyboard.

If You need a real long cable, use line drivers for the serial lines (74
07 and pullups or the like). I use 7407 and a pullup to +12 Volts as
sender and some 40XX CMOS chip as level converter at the receiving end
of the line (makes 2 TTLs and 2 CMOSses); I use the +12 Volt for power,
too. My keyboard has a 7805, so it gets real +5 V, not just 4.something.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Dennis had stepped up into the top seat whet its founder had died of a

bediako@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (Bernard Bediako) (10/12/89)

Hi
	Has anyone seen the internals of the mega keyboard.  Does it have the
18-pin connector that the older ones do.  Did they change the keyboard
controller and everything?  Finally, does anyone one know of an
ST-repair store that will sell parts (either a Mega or 1040 keyboard) ???
		thank    bernie
				bediako@cs.buffalo.edu