[comp.sys.atari.st] Connecting non-Atari monitors to the ST

zimm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dylan Yolles) (10/05/89)

I'm sick of having two monitors (mono and RGB) on my desk. Is it possible
to connect a third party hires RGB monitor that could handle all of
the ST's resolutions? If such a thing is possible, how will the hires
quality compare to the SM124? What is the price range on such monitors?

zimm%portia@forsythe.stanford.edu

cwilliam@brillig.umd.edu (Christopher 'Merlin' Williamson) (10/05/89)

In article <5558@portia.Stanford.EDU> zimm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dylan Yolles) writes:

>   I'm sick of having two monitors (mono and RGB) on my desk. Is it possible
>   to connect a third party hires RGB monitor that could handle all of
>   the ST's resolutions? If such a thing is possible, how will the hires
>   quality compare to the SM124? What is the price range on such monitors?

I have a Magnavox that I am VERY satisfied with.  It has analog, and
digital RGB, as well as composite (TV/VCR video signal) and audio
connections.  Works great on my st (which uses a standard ANALOG RGB),
IBMs usually use TTL (which is digital RGB) and TV/VCR/8bit Atari/etc
all use composite (the video/audio ins usally RCA plugs).  It has (in
my opinion) a little better resolution than the ST color monitors,
blowing away the new-style color monitors, and maybe a little better
than the older ones.  The price is a little CHEAPER than the ST
monitor.  I paid $200 for mine locally at full retail price.  I
recently got a second at a hamfest for $60.  Very cool monitors (which
I use as TVs most of the time.  Also nice and light and they come with
a nice 5 year warranty (something Atari doesnt provide).

Any monitor that has Analog RGB and a audio in RCA plug will work.
You do need to get a cable from that wierd Atari-specific monitor plug
to the standard RGB plug with a little lead for the audio line.  I had
no trouble finding these cords locally at a large Atari dealer.
Sorry, I dont have any specific names.

(and no I am not affiliated with Magnavox, I am just a VERY pleased
customer...  you know the bit...)

Chris

 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
     What I have said above may or may not be fact, you be the judge...

  Christopher Williamson | cwilliam@umd5.umd.edu | Arpa/InterNet (prefered)
  Human-Computer Int Lab | cwilliam@UMDD         | BitNet
  Univ. of Maryland      |...!uunet!umd5!cwilliam| UUCP
  College Pk, MD 20740   | (301) 779 - 5408      | If all else fails

    "Without water, we're all just three or four pounds of chemicals."

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (10/05/89)

Philips has a Personal Multisync with loadspeaker that works with all
3 resolution.... My friend uses one right now....

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /  ____ ______
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /  /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/  ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (10/07/89)

In article <5558@portia.Stanford.EDU> zimm@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Dylan Yolles) writes:
>Is it possible
>to connect a third party hires RGB monitor that could handle all of
>the ST's resolutions? If such a thing is possible, how will the hires
>quality compare to the SM124? What is the price range on such monitors?

Any "Multisync", "Flexscan" or the like can be wired up to the St to
handle all 3 resolutions.
Just follow the pinout of the monitor outlet; R, G and B are self
explanatory, sync can be separetad (Hsync/Vsync) or composite and so on.

The 2 scan modes (35 kHz for high res, 15 kHz for color) are switched by
the mono detect line: ground tells the ST to do high res.

Monitors, that are not able to handle scanning at multiple frequencies,
cannot be used for all 3 graphic modes; they can possibly be damaged!
The scanning frequency is (in older, "pre-multisync" models) used as
time base for the high voltage generator, generating the 10 to 20
kilovolts necessary to accelerate the electron beam. The higher the
frequency, the higher the voltage: a 15 kHz monitor (this is the video
standard!) could be converted to an expensive heap of junk...

hope, this helps

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Dennis had stepped up into the top seat whet its founder had died of a

domen@cartan.crin.fr (Eric Domenjoud) (10/12/89)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: arc

	I got recently ARC for my ATARI ST from the archive server
archive-server%panarthea@sun.com (binaries/volume1/arc) but it doesn't
work. It seems that all bytes whose value was 0x0D were removed from
the executable file ARC.TTP, perhaps by a virus. It's not only a
problem by me, the file I got from the server was already altered.
Is it possible to replace this file by a safe one or could somebody
send me a safe version of ARC to the following adress:

	domen@loria.crin.fr

	Eric Domenjoud

koreth@panarthea.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (10/13/89)

In article <375@loria.crin.fr> domen@loria.crin.fr (Eric Domenjoud) writes:
>It seems that all bytes whose value was 0x0D were removed from
>the executable file ARC.TTP, perhaps by a virus.

Sorry, the virus is really CP/M text file format, which ends lines of text
in a CR-LF (0x0D/0x0A).  My bet is that you're on a UNIX system, and something
on there is "smart" enough to convert those end-of-lines to UNIX end-of-lines,
which are simply LF (0x0A).  How are you decoding the program?

---
"                                                  !" - Marcel Marceau
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
sgrimm@sun.com		...!sun!sgrimm