[comp.sys.atari.st] panarthea archive

D.Tilley@MVS.ULCC.AC.UK ("David Tilley, +44 1 405 8400, x500", 0) (07/20/89)

Steven,

Yours is the first US Atari ST archive I've had success with.  Keep up the good
work!

I have one small request: after a time - when I've collected most of what I
need from your archive -  I will need subsequently to know when significant
updates have been made.  Can your system tell me when these have occurred?

David

koreth@panarthea.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (07/20/89)

In article <A0A1F9FFE97A1800@UK.AC.ULCC.MVS> D.Tilley%ULCC.AC.UK@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU writes:
>I have one small request: after a time - when I've collected most of what I
>need from your archive -  I will need subsequently to know when significant
>updates have been made.  Can your system tell me when these have occurred?

I've gotten requests for a "binaries mailing list" in the past, but
have always dismissed it as too much work for too few people.  However,
while I was answering the above via E-mail, an idea came to me: it is
simple to set up a system to mail the sources and binaries index files
to people whenever they have changed since the last mailing.  People
can then examine the index and request any desired files from the
archive server.  Is there demand for this?  Send mail to
autoindex-request%panarthea.ebay@sun.com if you'd like to receive
these.  (Note: if you can get comp.binaries.atari.st and
comp.sources.atari.st, you shouldn't subscribe; you won't be getting
any extra information, and you'll be wasting net bandwidth.)

One caveat: when I post something like gnuemacs, all its entries go into
the index when the first part is posted.  However, the files don't get
copied over to the archive directory until the last part is posted, which
can be several days from the first post (depending on the number of parts
in the submission).

---
This message is a figment of your imagination.  Any opinions are yours.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
sgrimm@sun.com		...!sun!sgrimm

pa1562@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (C. Squibby Breyman) (10/11/89)

I haven't been able to acess the comp.binaries.st archives
since the move from ssyx. Every time I try to open a connection
ftp wairts then times out. Is there a restricted access time ?
Is there only one net connection possible at a time? Or do I have
my head in the sand? Help

koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (10/11/89)

In article <1301@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU> pa1562@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (C. Squibby Breyman) writes:
>Every time I try to open a connection
>ftp wairts then times out.

Panarthea is only reachable by mail, unfortunately.  Sun's internal network
can't be reached from the outside world (or vice versa), so ftp won't work.
Send the word "help" to archive-server@panarthea.ebay.sun.com for information
about accessing the archives.  The good news is that the archive server
provides very fast turnaround time for people on the Internet, almost as
good as ftp.

---
"                                                  !" - Marcel Marceau

kllove@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kenneth L Love) (10/13/89)

In article <34517@grapevine.uucp> koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) writes:
>It's come to my attention that several people don't have Arc 5.21 and don't
>know where to get it.  It is available from the panarthea archive service.
>If you've never used the service, send a mail message containing the word
>"help" to archive-server@panarthea.ebay.sun.com for more information.
>---
>"                                                  !" - Marcel Marceau
>Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
>sgrimm@sun.com		...!sun!sgrimm

Does anyone have an address for the panarthea.ebay.sun.com archive?  My site
doesn't seem to have it listed in the hosts file.

                                            Kenneth Love

ps.  Anybody ever notice that ST & TOS stand for Star Trek and The Original
     Series, respectively?  Was this a total coincidence or was Atari trying
     to get some Trekkers {Trekkies, whatever!} to buy the ST?

koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (10/13/89)

In article <1989Oct12.202146.2256@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> kllove@uokmax.UUCP (Kenneth L Love) writes:
>Does anyone have an address for the panarthea.ebay.sun.com archive?  My site
>doesn't seem to have it listed in the hosts file.

Unfortunately, panarthea isn't accessible from the Internet by anything but
mail.  As my original message stated, send the word "help" to the mail
address archive-server@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (if your mailer doesn't handle
MX records properly, you can use archive-server%panarthea.ebay@sun.com)
for information about accessing the archives.  The server tends to respond
very quickly.

Actually, I guess this is indication that it's time for my "how to retrieve/
unpack binaries" article once again.  (I thought I'd put a long expire time
on it.  Are people not reading it?  How can I change the document so that
the above question doesn't get asked once a week?)

---
"                                                  !" - Marcel Marceau