[comp.sys.atari.st] Request for comments about Atari ST RAM upgrades

wyant@eplrx7.UUCP (wyant) (10/13/89)

   We have recently acquired a hard disk and several software utilities
for our 1 MB Atari 1040ST (at the recent WAACO).  This has us wondering
about the the possibilities for a RAM upgrade, perhaps to 2.5 MBytes.
The prices which we have seen for such an upgrade vary by quite a bit,
being between $305 and over $400 (US).  So, now a list:

   A) Is such a RAM upgrade desirable?  Our Atari serves both for games
and desktop publishing.  The utilities/accessories might be expected to
occupy up to 0.25 MBytes.

   B) What is the difference between the solderless and conventional
upgrades?  Is a solderless upgrade merely a DRAM swap?

   C) What about the extra heat generated by all those RAM's in such a
small (ST) box?  Is it substantially greater than for the standard 1 MB?

   D) Do you have any recommended places for us to consider having such
an upgrade performed?  Do they perform an infant mortality test?

Since this is probably a frequently recurring question, a mail reply
might be best.  Thank you for your comments to these questions and the
general issue of memory upgrade for the ST.

                                       Patrick Wyant
                                       Wilmington, DE
                                       *!uunet!eplrx7!wyant

--
The UUCP Mailer

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (10/13/89)

In article <868@eplrx7.UUCP>, wyant@eplrx7.UUCP (wyant) writes:

>    We have recently acquired a hard disk and several software utilities
> about the the possibilities for a RAM upgrade, perhaps to 2.5 MBytes.
> being between $305 and over $400 (US).  So, now a list:

	$305 or so for 1) a board and 2) 16 1-meg drams sounds good.

>    A) Is such a RAM upgrade desirable?  Our Atari serves both for games
> and desktop publishing.  The utilities/accessories might be expected to
> occupy up to 0.25 MBytes.

	I would think extra mem would be particularly useful for DTP.
	I run MINIX-ST it it loves extra RAM.

>    B) What is the difference between the solderless and conventional
> upgrades?  Is a solderless upgrade merely a DRAM swap?

	solderless uses 1) a pass-thru socket to pick up most signals
	from the video shifter. 2) a press on thing to pick up signals
	from the MMU.

	solder: you get to locate and tack down lots of wires.

	DRAM is not swapped.  .5 meg stays used, .5 meg is lost. the board
	adds 2 meg in 16 1 meg DRAMS.

>    C) What about the extra heat generated by all those RAM's in such a
> small (ST) box?  Is it substantially greater than for the standard 1 MB?

	DRAMS are cool running -- I've seen no difference.

>    D) Do you have any recommended places for us to consider having such
> an upgrade performed?  Do they perform an infant mortality test?

	Most places supply a board and a phone number.  You supply the
	DRAMS and install it.  Its pretty easy for solderless.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

pnh@morocco.osf.org (unknown) (10/13/89)

I upgraded my 520ST to 2.5 meg using an AERCO (Austin, Texas) upgrade
board.

I first upgraded from 512K to 1Meg, doing the upgrade myself w/ no
problem at all.  After the second upgrade to 2.5Mg, I did have some
problems with the system which I attributed to overheating.  I leave
the cover somewhat looser than before and everything's ok so far.
Bear in mind this is a 520ST--not much room for expansion!