[comp.sys.atari.st] Serial port Disk driver

paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) (10/10/89)

Hi:
I've been doing some drive changes on my ST latelly and been needing a backup
system.   I've tried turtle but I haven't loads of floppies that I can use
for this nor the time to sit in front of my computer all day switching
diskettes.   What I do have is a couple of UNIX systems (one system V and one
BSD 4.2) with lots of disk space and 5 1/4 cartridge tape drives.   I then
started to consider using the UNIX system but had to get the information
to it some how.  I thought of using xmodem but it also required some
intervention.   I've been writing disk driver code for a while (my MAXTOR
380 meg ESDI drive) and all of a sudden it flashed on me to just convert
the actual I/O routines in the driver so that instead of going to the DMA
port, it went via the serial port.  I over came the non re-entrant BIOS
problem and wrote a handler that runs on the UNIX system.  I can create
a disk file on the unix system from 128K to 16meg, start the TSR driver
on the ST and Wella... I've got a drive 'P' on my st that I can just drag
files or disk ICONS to and start the copy and go away for a while.
If used with a disk caching program this drive can be quite fast.
Well I've been reading this forum for quite a while and have downloaded
a lot of great stuff.  If anybody is interrested in my code I will post
it PD on this net or (try) to mail it to whom-ever asks.
Currently I am working on another UNIX side utility to copy to and from
files from UNIX and the ST disk file.
----
   .===========================================================.
   |  ### ####### ###     |    N O R T H    | /==============\ |
   |  ### ###     ###     |  A M E R I C A  |< An STC Company >|
   |  ### ####### ####### |    (was CCI)    | \==============/ |
   |-----------------------------------------------------------|
   |  UUCP:  ...ccicpg!dl2!paulm   |      Paul L. Moreau       |
   |    or   ...ccicpg!dl1!paulm   | Diagnostics Software Eng. |
   |    or   ...ccicpg!paulm       |    Irvine, California     |
   `==========================================================='

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (10/12/89)

In article <42681@ccicpg.UUCP> paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) writes:

 [description of situation very similiar to mine deleted]

>                       If anybody is interrested in my code I will post
>it PD on this net or (try) to mail it to whom-ever asks.

I hereby identify myself as the 'anybody' mentioned above. (Tried mail
but couldn't make it happen.)

>Currently I am working on another UNIX side utility to copy to and from
>files from UNIX and the ST disk file.

This would be useful too!

>----
>   .===========================================================.
>   |  ### ####### ###     |    N O R T H    | /==============\ |
>   |  ### ###     ###     |  A M E R I C A  |< An STC Company >|
>   |  ### ####### ####### |    (was CCI)    | \==============/ |
>   |-----------------------------------------------------------|
>   |  UUCP:  ...ccicpg!dl2!paulm   |      Paul L. Moreau       |
>   |    or   ...ccicpg!dl1!paulm   | Diagnostics Software Eng. |
>   |    or   ...ccicpg!paulm       |    Irvine, California     |
>   `==========================================================='

Again, the advantages of PD.  Thanks a million Paul.

 Bill Hodges                    |  Me?  People who speak for the Air Force get
 bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil  |  paid a lot more than I do! I just work here.

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/12/89)

In article <42681@ccicpg.UUCP>, paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) writes:

> Hi:
> I've been doing some drive changes on my ST latelly and been needing a backup
> system.   I've tried turtle but I haven't loads of floppies that I can use
> for this nor the time to sit in front of my computer all day switching
> diskettes.   What I do have is a couple of UNIX systems (one system V and one
> BSD 4.2) with lots of disk space and 5 1/4 cartridge tape drives.   I then
> started to consider using the UNIX system but had to get the information
> to it some how.  I thought of using xmodem but it also required some
> intervention.   I've been writing disk driver code for a while (my MAXTOR
> 380 meg ESDI drive) and all of a sudden it flashed on me to just convert
> the actual I/O routines in the driver so that instead of going to the DMA
> port, it went via the serial port.  I over came the non re-entrant BIOS
> problem and wrote a handler that runs on the UNIX system.  I can create
> a disk file on the unix system from 128K to 16meg, start the TSR driver
> on the ST and Wella... I've got a drive 'P' on my st that I can just drag
> files or disk ICONS to and start the copy and go away for a while.
> If used with a disk caching program this drive can be quite fast.
> Well I've been reading this forum for quite a while and have downloaded
> a lot of great stuff.  If anybody is interrested in my code I will post
> it PD on this net or (try) to mail it to whom-ever asks.
> Currently I am working on another UNIX side utility to copy to and from
> files from UNIX and the ST disk file.
> ----
>    |  UUCP:  ...ccicpg!dl2!paulm   |      Paul L. Moreau       |
>    |    or   ...ccicpg!dl1!paulm   | Diagnostics Software Eng. |
>    |    or   ...ccicpg!paulm       |    Irvine, California     |
>    `==========================================================='

Paul, while most of us STers have access to usenet (how else can we read this
message), we don't all have UNIX computers at home. But, your ideas sound good
anyway. I have a thought, would it be possible to interface an ST to an IBM PC
with a tape backup?? More folks out there might have access to such a creature.

There are a lot of Bourneoulli (sp?) boxes out for IBM PCs, and other forms of
tape backup. But, except for the ICD FAST TAPE, which is $900 plus tapes,
and the SysQuest 44 meg removable drive, which is $800 plus $110 per cart,
there is very little way of backing up a large hard drive. So, your ideas are
most welcome.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Richard Covert

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (10/14/89)

In article <462b356c.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>In article <42681@ccicpg.UUCP>, paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) writes:
>>
>> port, it went via the serial port.  I over came the non re-entrant BIOS
>> problem and wrote a handler that runs on the UNIX system.  I can create
>> a disk file on the unix system from 128K to 16meg, start the TSR driver
>> on the ST and Wella... I've got a drive 'P' on my st that I can just drag
>> files or disk ICONS to and start the copy and go away for a while.
>> ----
>>    |  UUCP:  ...ccicpg!dl2!paulm   |      Paul L. Moreau       |
>>    |    or   ...ccicpg!dl1!paulm   | Diagnostics Software Eng. |
>>    |    or   ...ccicpg!paulm       |    Irvine, California     |
>>    `==========================================================='
>

>Paul, while most of us STers have access to usenet (how else can we read this
>message), we don't all have UNIX computers at home. But, your ideas sound good
>anyway. I have a thought, would it be possible to interface an ST to an IBM PC
>with a tape backup?? More folks out there might have access to such a creature.

Did you look at the code? I wonder how well it would run over a
telebit to a unix host (in xmodem mode instead of uucp mode).

I had given some thought of doing something like this for a PC. The
machine in my living room has 2 337MB drives, but the one in the
kitchen does not have a drive for DOS. I am not familiar enough
with the ST to even think about doing what Paul has done. The C
portion may be able to be ported to a PC allowing the PC to serve
the ST.  I tried Paul's program connected to a 286 running Xenix
and all i get are "Chksum reading block 0" and then "Timeout"
errors. Has anyone been able to get this working on a ST talking
to a 286 or 386? I tried running it at 4800 baud with the exact
same results, the only thing i can think of is that the data that
the ST requires is byte swapped.

I have been giving some thought to using Paul's Unix partion of the
code to serve to a DOS machine allowing the same server software
to work with both the ST and PC. Anyone interested in swapping
ideas? Please respond via mail if you are, or know what the problem
is with running the C portion on a 286.

Is there a simple Backup program that works on a 520ST? The ST's
hard drive was dropped and i did not have a backup, hence my desire
to get pmfs working.
--
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex!mgse!marks