[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 problem

pi@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Peter J Ikusz) (10/05/89)

I seem to have a problem with my TOS 1.4 that I just purchased.
I have a 7/1985 ST, and when I put the new TOS in and turn it on,
the screen blanks. No HD access, no floppy access. I know others
with earlier machines, one also has this problem, the rest do not.
Any ideas?

Thanx in advance..
Pete

-------------------------
"Poachers shooting at rabbits will scare the big game away"
- From : ?? I don't remember
-- Think about it... Use it... Live it...
UWisconsin.Milwaukee : pi@csd4
-------------------------

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (10/05/89)

In article <343@uwm.edu>, pi@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Peter J Ikusz) writes:
> I seem to have a problem with my TOS 1.4 that I just purchased.
> I have a 7/1985 ST, and when I put the new TOS in and turn it on,
> the screen blanks. No HD access, no floppy access. I know others
> with earlier machines, one also has this problem, the rest do not.
> Any ideas?

First and most likely problem is that a pin either
a. missed the socket and is sticking out -- you can see this.
b. a pin tucked under the rom -- you can't see this.

the only way to handle case b is to CAREFULLY remove the roms
1 at a time, and check them.  Of course, there is a slight probability
that you will fold a pin under while doing this, so its a bit frustrating.

Also, are you really sure the roms are in the correct order?

Finally, you may have a malfuction, that tos1.1 didn't stress.

good luck

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

charlop@blake.acs.washington.edu (Aaron Charlop) (10/09/89)

I have seen reports of problems accessing harddrives after installing
TOS 1.4. I just wanted to say that this maybe a problem with the formatting
or boot utility being used. I just installed the new ROM's into my Rev. D
1040STF and had no problems with my 1985 Supra 20Meg HD. I am able to
access everything properly and my previous backups could be restored
properly. I use Supra Utilities V2.62 and Meg-A-Minute Elite by Small etal.
for my HD utilities. Someone with more know-how might want to check this
out. Just thought I'd put in my $0.02 worth.

Aaron the Alchemist
Charlop@uwachem.washington.edu

"Yes I really am an honest-to-goodness Alchemist"	Me

P.S.	Why didn't Atari include a Move option in the copy routine?

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (10/10/89)

Here's my two-cents - after my TOS 1.4 install my entire HD was messed
up, the FAT table was destroyed - and no, unfortunetaly I have no idead
why.  I do know that after some playing around I got a few programs to
work fine, but most bombed with TOS error #35 or file not found errors.
After reformatting the whole HD and restoring every program from the
*original disks* (for some reason my old backups would not run either!)
EVERY program is now running fine.  I am having the dead machine problem
which I'm working on now - the system acts as if it was too cold...

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

jansen@atari.UUCP (Mark O. Jansen) (10/11/89)

in article <3955@blake.acs.washington.edu>, charlop@blake.acs.washington.edu (Aaron Charlop) says:

> Aaron the Alchemist
> Charlop@uwachem.washington.edu

> P.S.	Why didn't Atari include a Move option in the copy routine?

You can move _files_; just select the files, hold down <Control>, and drag
them to their destination.  As long as <Control> is down when the mouse
button comes up, you'll get a move instead of a copy.

--
 "Question" Mark Jansen             UUCP: ...ames!atari!jansen
  Atari Corporation                 BIX/GEnie: mjansen

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (10/11/89)

>Aaron the Alchemist
>Charlop@uwachem.washington.edu
>
>P.S.   Why didn't Atari include a Move option in the copy routine?

You haven't been following the "grapevine documentation" for TOS 1.4, Aaron..
(what..?   you expected docs for your $100...?  get real)

Atari *DID* include a MOVE operation in TOS 1.4...

It's Shift/Alt/Control/Help/Undo/Uppercase M/Lowercase M (at the same time)
while click dragging the file to its destination...

Far more intuitive than a drop-down menu option.. (what do you think this i..
a Graphics Environment Manager...?)

I'm sure someone here will tell you the actual procedure...

Pretty unnerving to think Atari is in such a bad financial situation that the
couldn't even afford to send out a mimeographed sheet with the ROMs to dealrs

(You *CAN* get TOS 1.4 documentation, but that requires joining the $300 club

BobR

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (10/12/89)

in article <3955@blake.acs.washington.edu>, charlop@blake.acs.washington.edu (Aaron Charlop) says:

> Aaron the Alchemist
> Charlop@uwachem.washington.edu
>
> "Yes I really am an honest-to-goodness Alchemist"	Me
>
> P.S.	Why didn't Atari include a Move option in the copy routine?

We did! After selecting the files you wish to move. Hold down the CONTROL
key and then drag them to the destination. Once the Dialog Box appears, you
can let go of the CONTROL key. You will notice that the top of the Dialog
says "MOVE FILES"

If you have any other questions, just ask.

-- John Townsend				ames!atari!towns
   Atari Corporation, Technical Support

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/12/89)

In article <22919@cup.portal.com>, Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
> Here's my two-cents - after my TOS 1.4 install my entire HD was messed
> up, the FAT table was destroyed - and no, unfortunetaly I have no idead
> why.  I do know that after some playing around I got a few programs to
> work fine, but most bombed with TOS error #35 or file not found errors.
> After reformatting the whole HD and restoring every program from the
> *original disks* (for some reason my old backups would not run either!)
> EVERY program is now running fine.  I am having the dead machine problem
> which I'm working on now - the system acts as if it was too cold...
>
> Peter Szymonik

My system consists of a Mega ST2 upped to 4 megs RAM, both monitors, a Monitor
Master switch box, the SLM804 laser printer and a dual 65 meg drive from
ABCO Computers in FL. And lastly, the Turbo16 from FAST TECHNOLOGY, along with
the TOS 1.4.

And everything works fine. I haven't run into any problems either attributable to
the T16 or to TOS 1.4. And I have 3 local friends who has TOS 1.4 with T16,
and none of them are having any problems. I haven't formatted my drive since I
bought it a year ago.

Heck, even Calamus works with the T16!!!

Sorry that I can't help you Peter. I just wanted to let you know that others
don't appear to be having that problem. Did you check your installation??
Oh one thing. It is a known fact that the 74LS373 need to be replaced with
74AS373, as the AS version has twice the current drive of the older LS
chips. Maybe you should try that?? My dealer does that replacement as part of
his standard installation of TOS 1.4 and the T16.
Give it a shot. Let the net know of your results.

Richard Covert (I love the T16!!)

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (10/12/89)

In article <22966@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:

>You haven't been following the "grapevine documentation" for TOS 1.4, Aaron..
>(what..?   you expected docs for your $100...?  get real)

Well, who got out of bed on the wrong side this morning? :-)

When I bought TOS 1.4 from my dealer I got a nice, four page document from
Atari describing the new TOS procedures.  Included was the new file selector
("formerly called item selector"), the MOVE operation (hold the ctl key when
you drag files), warm/cold resets from the keyboard (Ctl/Alt/del
Ctl/Alt/Rshift/del, resp.), installing auto-booting gem applications, and a
few other things I can't remember right now.

Maybe you should be flaming your dealer instead?
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (10/14/89)

Paul Close observed:
>When I bought TOS 1.4 from my dealer I got a nice, four page document from
>Atari describing the new TOS procedures.

Thanks for correcting (and updating) me Paul... the people I'd known who have
gotten TOS 1.4 hadn't received any documentation, but I'm glad to hear that
there indeed is information being distributed with TOS 1.4 now...

And my apologies to Atari for what turns out to be outdated opinions...

BobR

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (10/15/89)

I don't think that my problems are related to the 'weak chips', all programs
now run fine, now my only problem is with booting the system.  After a long
search I think I've narrowed the problem down to either a bad .ACC or
a problem with the ICD adaptor board, the system is in for a look-see at
my dealer now - the diagnoistic cart showed no problems with the Mega 2.
(murphy's Law, bring it to a dealer and it will work fine!)

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (10/15/89)

Paul Close>  i'd be interested in knowing whether Atari or your dealer
provided those TOS 1.4 docs, so far you are the *only* person i know
of who got DOCs with the upgrade!

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

charlop@blake.acs.washington.edu (Aaron Charlop) (10/16/89)

In article <1261@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
>In article <22966@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>>
>>You haven't been following the "grapevine documentation" for TOS 1.4, Aaron..
>>(what..?   you expected docs for your $100...?  get real)
>
>Well, who got out of bed on the wrong side this morning? :-)
>
>When I bought TOS 1.4 from my dealer I got a nice, four page document from
>Atari describing the new TOS procedures.  Included was the new file selector
>("formerly called item selector"), the MOVE operation (hold the ctl key when
>you drag files), warm/cold resets from the keyboard (Ctl/Alt/del
>Ctl/Alt/Rshift/del, resp.), installing auto-booting gem applications, and a
>few other things I can't remember right now.
>
>Maybe you should be flaming your dealer instead?
>--
>Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul
>
>    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton

Well, my dealer didn't give me anything that descibed the new features. All
I got were my ROMs and a photocopy of the sheet showing what changes to make
to the Mega mother board to install the six chip set into a two chip system.
And that was just a schematic drawing.

Could someone PLEASE post a copy of the documentation for TOS 1.4 to the net
or mail me a copy and I'll post it.

Aaron the Alchemist
Charlop@uwachem.washington.edu

"Yes, I really am a honest-to-goodness alchemist"	Me

Aaron Charlop
Nuclear Physics Lab, GL-10
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195