[comp.sys.atari.st] IMG

MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.CA (David Megginson) (10/11/89)

IMG is, was, and always will be the standard GEM image format.  NEO, P?3,
etc. were invented by programmers too lazy to try to use the IMG standard.
If we move to anything else, it will be something like TIF.  Give up on
NEO, it is only a toy format.

Yes, IMG is supposed to support colour too.

       David Megginson <MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (10/15/89)

In article <8910120726.AA21587@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.CA (David Megginson) writes:
>IMG is, was, and always will be the standard GEM image format.  NEO, P?3,
>etc. were invented by programmers too lazy to try to use the IMG standard.

Too lazy -- or simply to demanding. The .IMG-format is too complex,
to strange, requires to much effort to use.  At least that's my opinion.

>Yes, IMG is supposed to support colour too.

Hey,  how do you know the colors?  As far as I know, there are no
way of specifying the palette data.   Only the number of bitplanes.
Am I wrong?

Regards,
Daniel
--
    Daniel Deimert, Fridstav. 4, S-715 94 Odensbacken, SWEDEN
    Internet:	daniel@pkmab.se

laba-1aj@e260-1f.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (10/17/89)

Could someone tell me the complete GEM IMG format and what all those
values mean?  Are all those features like pixel size supported by the AES
or GEMDOS or unsupported entirely?  Does anyone actually fill in those
values?

&  John Kawakami
&  laba-1aj@web.berkeley.edu
&  Live each day as if it were your first