[comp.sys.atari.st] The elusive PC-DITTO II

clutx.clarkson.edu (Scott K. Opiela,,,2684025) (10/18/89)

Anyone considering purchasing PC-DITTO II might want to consider otherwise.
First, the coupons for registered users, were mailed very late.
Once receiving the coupon, one could see how unexpectedly late they really
were (by noticing the deadline for use of the coupon was already past).  They
extended the deadline, and said allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.
I ordered mine 5 weeks ago, and know of others who have ordered theirs about
7 weeks ago.
First I was told by Avant-Garde that they will begin shipping them by the first
of this month.
I have been calling Avant-Garde every few days, (including today), and every
time I get through now, I am told that they will be shipping "sometime" this
month.  I don't expect to see a pc-ditto II before the end of this semester.
By the way, all orders had to be accompanied by a money order... So they are
all already paid for...

They (at Avant-Garde) say they are in the "production" stage.

If I were to recieve a pc-ditto II, I would cease to be upset (unless it did
not work properly), and post messages telling everyone how wonderful they are.

But I don't see that happening anytime this year... (no less this "month")...

AAron "Ya, I'm upset" nAAs
disclaimer: I don't care if anyone thinks the way I do, it's their
              fault if they do...
opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu
naas17@snypotba.bitnet

canada@crash.cts.com (Diane Barlow Close) (10/18/89)

In article <1989Oct17.210056.1183@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> opielask@image.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu writes:

>Anyone considering purchasing PC-DITTO II might want to consider otherwise.
> [stuff deleted about how late the product is]

Avant Garde is a small operation lacking the $$ and push of much bigger
corporations.  The lateness of their product is due to them being pushed
aside, at the production level, by bigger companies with many $$ who want
*their* products fast (now!) and are willing to pay extra for it.  Avant
Garde doesn't have this kind of pull (push?), so they are hanging in their
(complaining and pushing) and trying to speed things along.

A second reason for the lateness is the re-design of a cable to the 68000
so that this upgrade will be *completely solderless*.  You might not care
about this particular feature, but I (and many others) do care!  The 68000
is one heck of a solder job, and the less heat in my machine the better!

>By the way, all orders had to be accompanied by a money order... So they are
>all already paid for...

And all the money is in an escrow/trust account so that Avant Garde CANNOT
TOUCH IT!  Because it is in such an account, if you DO want your money back
you can have it in an instant!  They haven't re-invested the money or used
it for other purposes -- all the money is ready to be refunded, if
necessary.

>If I were to recieve a pc-ditto II, I would cease to be upset (unless it did
>not work properly), and post messages telling everyone how wonderful they are.

Hang in there.  Personally I think that this product is going to be worth
the wait!  It will do for PC emulation what FAST is doing for 16 MHz speed.

Usual disclaimer:  I'm not connected with Avant Garde in any way (heck, I
don't even own PC Ditto I  :-).  I just know ``people on the inside'' and
that is what they have so say...
--
Diane Barlow Close
      {nosc, ucsd}!crash!canada