[comp.sys.atari.st] printers

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (01/11/87)

[]

I'm still searching for the right printer for my ST.

In the January BYTE, page 402, there's an ad from FOCUS Computers where
it says they'll sell you a Toshiba P321 printer for... $348.50!
Is that a typo?  That printer costs a LOT more elsewhere: it's a 24-pin
device.  Can somebody tell me whether this printer comes in pieces, i.e.
whether the base unit needs a $100 tractor and a $100 interface added
before it's usable?

Has anybody had any dealings with Focus?  What's the safe
way to test them out (without the possibility of having $350 tied up
for months)?  (They are probably honest but you have to be careful...)

- Moshe Braner

jpexg@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU (John Purbrick) (01/15/87)

 > I'm still searching for the right printer for my ST.
> In the January BYTE, page 402, there's an ad from FOCUS Computers where
> it says they'll sell you a Toshiba P321 printer for... $348.50!
> Is that a typo?  That printer costs a LOT more elsewhere: it's a 24-pin
> device..... Has anybody had any dealings with Focus?

I can't comment on the printer, but I just bought a printer from Focus. It came
in less than a week and is just as advertised. Mine's a Panasonic KXP1080i, it
cost $190 and is adequate for my purposes. Note that 24-pin printers tend not
to include a tractor feed! I thought of a 24-pin model too, but couldn't
justify the cost to myself. If you deal with the New York outfits,
expect a hard sell on their part for additional stuff (power line monitor, dust
cover, extra paper and ribbon, etc), but I've always won buying the printer
and photo equipment. No problems with extended delivery or ripoffs.

Regarding the price, beware. A glossy magazine's prices will be weeks out of
date, and the vendor won't stand by the advertised price (unless it's higher!).
The dollar just doesn't buy the yen it used to. Get the Sunday New York Times
and look in the second half of the second section--all the dealers advertise
there and the prices are usually good till the following Tuesday.

						--John Purbrick
						jpexg@hermes.ai.mit.edu

ps The Panasonic KXP1080i has a graphics resolution of 72 dots per inch (at
least, that's the highest resolution with equal X and Y resolution).

grunau_b@husc4.harvard.edu (justin grunau) (01/16/87)

In article <2783@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU> jpexg@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU (John Purbrick) writes:

> > I'm still searching for the right printer for my ST.
>> In the January BYTE, page 402, there's an ad from FOCUS Computers where
>> it says they'll sell you a Toshiba P321 printer for... $348.50!
>> Is that a typo?  That printer costs a LOT more elsewhere: it's a 24-pin
>> device..... Has anybody had any dealings with Focus?
>
>I can't comment on the printer, but I just bought a printer from Focus. It came
>in less than a week and is just as advertised. Mine's a Panasonic KXP1080i, it
>cost $190 and is adequate for my purposes. Note that 24-pin printers tend not
>to include a tractor feed! I thought of a 24-pin model too, but couldn't
>justify the cost to myself. If you deal with the New York outfits,
. . .

>						--John Purbrick
>						jpexg@hermes.ai.mit.edu
>
>ps The Panasonic KXP1080i has a graphics resolution of 72 dots per inch (at
>least, that's the highest resolution with equal X and Y resolution).

I have a Panasonic 1092.  This is in the same family as the 1080i and the
1091 -- the only difference is that it is much faster (180 cps draft, 33 cps
NLQ), and it has draft pica, draft elite, compressed, NLQ pica, NLQ elite, and
NLQ proportional spacing, which is more than the cheaper models can do.  It also
of course does italics, underlining, and boldface, like most dot matrix
printers.  It is EPSON-compatible, in both text and graphics, (as are all three
Panasonic models) AND has the complete IBM ProPrinter graphics set.  It allows
downloading of draft, NLQ, and NLQ proportional fonts -- so if you want to make
it print all the 256 Atari ST characters, you can (with appropriate font editing
and downloading software, which could easily be written in BASIC, even), or any
other characters for that matter -- WITHOUT being forced into bit-mapped
graphics mode!!!

The only drawback is that, being the high-end of the KXP10-- family, it retails
for $500.  However, Data Warehouse in Arizona (listed in Byte and everywhere
else) sells it mail order for under $300.  I strongly recommend it, though if
you are penny-pinching, go for one of the lower models, ALSO mail-order.

									JJMG

{ seismo | rutgers | decvax!ihnp4 } !husc6!husc4!grunau

jpexg@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU (John Purbrick) (01/18/87)

> I have a Panasonic 1092.  This is in the same family as the 1080i and the
> 1091 -- the only difference is that it is much faster (180 cps draft, 33 cps
> NLQ), and it has draft pica, draft elite, compressed, NLQ pica, NLQ elite,
 and
> NLQ proportional spacing, which is more than the cheaper models can do.
> 									JJMG

The 1080i is almost that fast and has all the print modes you mentioned. You
didn't mention auto-justification, which it also does (but not very well in
my very limited experience).
								--jp

drs@bnl.ARPA (David R. Stampf) (01/29/88)

I called Megamax today - and spoke with a most gracious receptionist.

Unfortunately, she had bad news - Laser C wouldn't be shipping until mid
February or early March.  (In December, they were to ship in January).  Seems
that the printer is taking longer than estimated.

I guess they use the same printer as OSS and Atari. - Probably Gutenberg.

	*sigh*

	< dave stampf

(With all of this desktop publishing around, why can't anyone get anything
published?!?!?!)

wayrynd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (darin wayrynen) (01/31/88)

In article <322@bnl.ARPA> drs@bnl.ARPA (David R. Stampf) writes:
>I called Megamax today - and spoke with a most gracious receptionist.
>
>Unfortunately, she had bad news - Laser C wouldn't be shipping until mid
>February or early March.  (In December, they were to ship in January).  Seems
>that the printer is taking longer than estimated.
>
>I guess they use the same printer as OSS and Atari. - Probably Gutenberg.
>
>	*sigh*
>
>	< dave stampf
>
>(With all of this desktop publishing around, why can't anyone get anything
>published?!?!?!)

 guess they don't have quick printers in Richardson Texas!  Their last
 manual was just laser printed masters.  The real problem, is that they aren't
 done with the program yet.  This isn't something that is bad, it is good.  I
 would rather have them hold off on the release of a buggy product, than to let
 it go as it is now.  The lastest Beta Version works fine, but still has some
 quirks.  The good thing is, they won't have to wait for the manuals *if* they
 are being printed now!

   | Disclaimer -                                                        |
   |    My employer hardly knows I exist, let alone my opinions ....     |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   | UUCP  : ...!hp-pcd!orstcs!jacobs.cs.orst.edu!wayrynd |Apprentice |  |
   | Domain: wayrynd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu                   |    ST    /|\ |
   |     or: wayrynd%jacobs@cs.orst.edu                   |Programmer    |
   |   BBS : The Park BBS --> (503) 753-3342               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   | Snail : 824 NW 10th, Corvallis OR, 97330             Darin Wayrynen |

AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK (Jan Ameij) (10/19/89)

Hello fellow ST chums,

Anyone know a good way of making an HPLJ+ the gem installed printer so
that VIP Pro can print graphs on it?

Jan Ameij,
Oxford University Department of Applied Metaphysics,
janet:	ameij@uk.ac.oxford.vax
other:  oh come on, surely everyone can get to _Oxford_, dammit.