[comp.sys.atari.st] Mega 2 & TOS 1.4

viljanen@cs.Helsinki.FI (Lea Viljanen) (10/18/89)

Is there a trick to installing TOS 1.4 into Mega 2's?
I know a guy who has installed several ROM sets into all kinds of
ST's (520 ST - Mega 4). But only with Mega 2's he has problems;
only 1 machine worked from the 6 he has done. Other types (even Mega
4's!) have worked OK.

So, who knows what's the crucial difference between Mega 2 and Mega 4
so the same installing procedure doesn't work with Mega 2 but works
with Mega 4?

Any help appreciated.

--
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Lea 'LadyBug' Viljanen           ____     University of Helsinki, Finland

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (10/19/89)

There are som MEGA ST 2's with the ROM's at another adress than $FC0000.
The univeristy in Oslo has 50/50 of these and the "normal" MEGA ST 2's,
and on the "strange" type many programs won't work because they THINK the
ROM's is at $FC0000 (of course the ROM MAY be located anywhere but not all
follows Atari's standards..)  Maybe TOS 1.4 has the same trouble ?

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/19/89)

In article <2706@hydra.Helsinki.FI>, viljanen@cs.Helsinki.FI (Lea Viljanen) writes:
> Is there a trick to installing TOS 1.4 into Mega 2's?
> I know a guy who has installed several ROM sets into all kinds of
> ST's (520 ST - Mega 4). But only with Mega 2's he has problems;
> only 1 machine worked from the 6 he has done. Other types (even Mega
> 4's!) have worked OK.
>
> So, who knows what's the crucial difference between Mega 2 and Mega 4
> so the same installing procedure doesn't work with Mega 2 but works
> with Mega 4?
>
> Any help appreciated.
> Lea 'LadyBug' Viljanen           ____     University of Helsinki, Finland

Lea, there is a problem with replacing the 2 chip TOS 1.2 with a 6 chip
TOS 1.4. In some, not all but enough, Mega STs you need to replace the
74LS373 ics with 74 AS 373. repeat place the LS with AS. AS have a higher fan out
and can drive the additional load presented by the additional 4 EPROMS.

This is a kludge and is known by Atari, but it has to been done when you
install the new TOS if they fail.

Good luck..

Richard (Thw Whiner (tm) ) Covert