[comp.sys.atari.st] Blown motherboard???

cdixon@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/17/89)

Here's a stupid little question that I need some help with.  When I turned my
1040st on the red light was half on and the machine made a high pitched sound.
I took it to the local repair place and they said it was probably a blown
mother board but they couldn't fix it (they just fix IBMs).  I sent my machine
to an authorized service place, and I'm still waiting for the verdict.
Anyways, does anyone know roughly how much it would cost if it is a blown
mother board?  If so, is my machine totalled???  (gasp)  Also, a while
ago it was crashing a lot (frequent and unexplainable bombs), I took
it to a repair place and they tightened the chips or something.  Could
that have been an early sign of my current problem (the blown mother board).
Help me pleeeze.

Christopher Dixon
Wesleyan University

pat@cscnj.csc.COM (Patrick Hester) (10/20/89)

In article <2277@eagle.wesleyan.edu>, cdixon@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
> I took it to the local repair place and they said it was probably a blown
> mother board but they couldn't fix it (they just fix IBMs).  I sent my machine
> to an authorized service place, and I'm still waiting for the verdict.
> Anyways, does anyone know roughly how much it would cost if it is a blown
> mother board?  If so, is my machine totalled???

My power supply once went bad and sent 20 volts thru the 5 volt line.
Fried half the chips on the board. The service people didn't even try
to fix it. Instead, it cost me about $200 for a new one. But they had
to send the old one back to Atari and I had to wait a month or so.

On the plus side, my original ST was a very early model without RF.
The replacement was a little more up to date, so now I could videotape
my adventures on Time Bandits. Yay.

--
     8=8      if my employer agrees with any of the above,     _R_E_M_E_M_B_E_R_:
    --<-@                   I TAKE IT BACK!                   Republocrat