[comp.sys.atari.st] High-speed modems and the Atari ST

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (10/13/89)

Having just recently acquired an USR Courier HST Dual Standard, I am anxious
to compare notes with other ST users who favor the USR high speed modems,
especially in the area of throughput.

I am currently getting about ~1625 cps in HST mode.  Protocal used is Zmodem
and I have the comm port locked to 19200 with TURBOCTS installed.  The USR
manual says that I should be getting 1740 cps while in HST mode.  So where
is the missing ~100 cps?

Also, is there terminal software out there which supports Ymodem-G?  I
noticed that on uploads, my throughput drops way down to ~600 cps.  So I
want to see if using Ymodem-G instead of Zmodem will kick that cps rating up
a little bit.

Please mail any replies.  Thanks.

--
           Henry Kwan - FWB, Inc.         |  "Experience varies directly
     claris!wet!logic@ames.arc.nasa.gov   |    with equipment ruined."

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (10/18/89)

In article <665@wet.UUCP>, logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) writes:
> Having just recently acquired an USR Courier HST Dual Standard, I am anxious
> to compare notes with other ST users who favor the USR high speed modems,
> especially in the area of throughput.

US Robotics has had an outstanding offer to BBS Sysops, and also to USENET
Node Adminstrators. In brief you can buy an USR 9600 HST modem for the low
price of $495.00. This has made the USR 9600 HST very popular with ST BBS
sysops. The the majority of ST BBSes which use a 9600 baud modem use the
USR 9600 HST. So, just call around and look for ST BBSes which are 9600
buad and you can talk to lots of folks!!

> I am currently getting about ~1625 cps in HST mode.  Protocal used is Zmodem
> and I have the comm port locked to 19200 with TURBOCTS installed.  The USR
> manual says that I should be getting 1740 cps while in HST mode.  So where
> is the missing ~100 cps?

Your transmission speed depends greatly on the quality of the phone line, but
1625 cps sounds typical for that modem. You won't get that high on some
boards though. Some of the loss can be attributed to the TOS, it just can't
handle data that quickly off of the serial port.

> Also, is there terminal software out there which supports Ymodem-G?  I
> noticed that on uploads, my throughput drops way down to ~600 cps.  So I
> want to see if using Ymodem-G instead of Zmodem will kick that cps rating up
> a little bit.

That is typical also for Y-modem transfers. The only program that I know of that
gets >>800 cps for uploads is ST TERM, with its built in Z-modem protocol.

> Please mail any replies.  Thanks.
>
> --
>            Henry Kwan - FWB, Inc.         |  "Experience varies directly

I have had my USR 9600 HST for 6 months and have found that it is very reliable,
and has paid back it costs via lower phone bills already!! And USR has sent me
to updates (firmware) to it already for free!! That's good support!!

Rich Covert

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (10/21/89)

In article <4649c632.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:

>US Robotics has had an outstanding offer to BBS Sysops, and also to USENET
>Node Adminstrators. In brief you can buy an USR 9600 HST modem for the low
>price of $495.00. This has made the USR 9600 HST very popular with ST BBS
>sysops. The the majority of ST BBSes which use a 9600 baud modem use the
>USR 9600 HST. So, just call around and look for ST BBSes which are 9600
>buad and you can talk to lots of folks!!

If you think that the Sysop Program from USR is outstanding, wait til you
take a look at the Dealer Demo Program from USR.  It'll blow you off your
feet.

Currently, all USR Courier HSTs shipped are 14400 bps.  The 9600 bps HSTs
had been discontinued for some time now.

>Your transmission speed depends greatly on the quality of the phone line, but
>1625 cps sounds typical for that modem. You won't get that high on some
>boards though. Some of the loss can be attributed to the TOS, it just can't
>handle data that quickly off of the serial port.

Actually, 1625 cps is not typical for the 14.4 HST.  The USR manual itself
lists 1740 cps as typical when using HST mode and MNP level 4.  Some have
reported on the HST Echo cps ratings as high as 2000.

>That is typical also for Y-modem transfers. The only program that I know of that
>gets >>800 cps for uploads is ST TERM, with its built in Z-modem protocol.

I was using Zmodem.  That's why I wanted to know if Ymodem-G would improve
on that dismal cps rating.  Currently, the best I can get is ~900 cps using
Ymodem while in v.32 mode.  Interestingly enough, Zmodem gives me worse
throughput when I use it to upload.

>I have had my USR 9600 HST for 6 months and have found that it is very reliable,
>and has paid back it costs via lower phone bills already!! And USR has sent me
>to updates (firmware) to it already for free!! That's good support!!
>
>Rich Covert

It's a good modem, that's for sure.  I am trouble by the reports of
incompatibilities though.  It seems that the Dual Standard has trouble
connecting to some modems at 2400 bps and even some modems at 9600 bps
(v.32).  The frequent firmware updates are troubling also.  I bought my
modem less than a month ago and I find that my firmware is two or more
revisions behind already!

By the way, a small nitpick.  The USR Courier HSTs are not 9600 'baud',
they're 2400 'baud'.  :-)

--
Henry Kwan                |  AppleLink: D0690
FWB, Inc.                 |  CompuServe: 71320,1034