[comp.sys.atari.st] 386 vs the TT

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (10/20/89)

Several users on my site have fast 386 machines. The problem is that most
codes do not support memory beyond 640K. Thus, a 4 meg 386 has over 3 megs
of useless RAM.

PC people are always proud of fast 386's. With the lack of a common interface
for applications (Word Perfect, dBASE, LOTUS, ChiWriter, etc.have no
relationship to one another) huge amounts of time are wasted trying to
pass data between applications. Who the hell cares if a number crunch
takes 7 seconds instead of 21 when it takes 1/2 hour to move the result to
a second application. Until PCs have a dominant common interface that allows
rapid passing of data between appplications PCs will remain the dogs of the
computing world.

A survey has shown that in business, the average number of applications
used by PC users is 1, the average by Mac users is 4. Why? Learning one
PC appl does not tell you anything about the next. Learning one Mac appl
or one GEM appl totally prepares you for the next ones. Sorry PC users,
speed of processing is not the only determinant of productivity!

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (10/23/89)

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:

>Several users on my site have fast 386 machines. The problem is that most
>codes do not support memory beyond 640K. Thus, a 4 meg 386 has over 3 megs
>of useless RAM.

You talk about the limitations of PC's, but you really mean those of MS-DOS.
There are ways of making a 386 PC very useful; installing MS-DOS on it
is not one of them.
--
Pim Zandbergen                                 internet : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                uucp     : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim