[comp.sys.atari.st] Problem with LaTeX and letter.sty

csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) (10/20/89)

Greetings-

We have just installed newer versions of TeX and LaTeX on our Sun
network and we've noticed a problem with writing letters using the
LaTeX style file.  I appears that the new version does not place
any vertical space between the \closing and the \signature for
a person's handwritten signature.  We take the same file and run
it through our old LaTeX and it works as expected.

I have also seen the problem in the C TeX version that is on the
ATARI ST using the same style file.

Here are the version statements from the OLD stuff:
This is TeX, Version 2.0 for Berkeley UNIX (preloaded format=lplain 87.2.1)
LaTeX Version 2.09 - Released 19 April 1986
Document Style 'letter'. Released 21 July 1985

Here are the new version numbers:
--------------------------------
This is TeX, C Version 2.95 (no format preloaded)
LaTeX Version 2.09 <4 Aug 1988>
Document Style 'letter'. Released 21 July 1985

Can someone please tell us how to solve this problem?  Do we need a newer
style file, a patch or what?

Many thanks!
-c
-=- Charles S. Roberson          ARPANET:    csrobe@cs.wm.edu           -=-
-=- VA Remote Sensing Study      UUCP:       ...!uunet!cs.wm.edu!csrobe -=-
-=- Dept of Comp. Sci.           Compu$erve: 71500.2056@compuserve.com  -=-
-=- College of William and Mary  BIX:        csrobe                     -=-
-=- Williamsburg, VA 23185       Ma Bell:    (804) 253-4393             -=-

 Fur Fact: In 1987, U.S. mink farmers reported that 450,000 animals died
           due to heat stress.

suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (10/23/89)

In article <8910191921.AA18486@cs.wm.edu> csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) writes:
>any vertical space between the \closing and the \signature for
>a person's handwritten signature.

[ text deleted ]

>Document Style 'letter'. Released 21 July 1985
You are in need of new version of letter.sty -file. I get the same problem
last summer with old letter.sty -file and new version LaTeX.

Timo Suhonen
--
Timo Suhonen                                           suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi
Disclaimer: The text above is from my left brain cell. The right one is for