[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 AUTO bug

fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) (10/21/89)

Has anyone else experienced the following problem?

I installed TOS1.4 in my Mega 2.  After booting up the system
I installed NeoDesk 2.05 and used the new AUTO feature in the
"Install Application" to make NeoDesk auto-start on bootup.

Next, I re-booted my system and NeoDesk auto-started as
expected.  I then double-clicked on UniTerm and was greeted
with two bombs.  OK, only two changes to my environment:
TOS 1.4 and Install Application AUTO versus using STARTGEM.
I removed the AUTO install feature and re-booted.  Then, I
started NeoDesk 2.05 by double-clicking on NEOMASTR.PRG and
got my favorite desktop.  Then double-clicked on UniTerm as
before and everything is fine.  I repeated all of the above,
and it seems to me that there is a bug in the TOS1.4 AUTO-
start feature.

I also talked to others in our club who have experienced
similar two bomb crashes when using this new "feature".

Atari?

Cheers,
Pierre Fortin
Ottawa, Canada

charlop@blake.acs.washington.edu (Aaron Charlop) (10/21/89)

In article <122@bnrgate.bnr.ca> fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) writes:
>Has anyone else experienced the following problem?
>
>I installed TOS1.4 in my Mega 2.  After booting up the system
>I installed NeoDesk 2.05 and used the new AUTO feature in the
>"Install Application" to make NeoDesk auto-start on bootup.
>
>Next, I re-booted my system and NeoDesk auto-started as

I also have had a problem with the autoboot command. I installed my
Terminal emulation program AnsiGraf to autoboot. However, when I my
computer boots, the program can't access the modem. If I exit the program
and restart it from my hd, it works fine. Also when I exit from the program
after it has autobooted, my desktop comes up in the default colors not the
ones defined in my desktop. I have to call up the control panel from
MultiDesk to reset the colors.

Anything Atari?

On TOS 1.4 incompatibility. It seems that OmniRes will not work with TOS
1.4. Anybody have a new OMNIRES.INF that will work with 1.4.
I have version 3.01, maybe I wasn't informed of an update.
--
Aaron the Alchemist
Charlop@uwachem.washington.edu

"Yes, I really am a honest-to-goodness alchemist"	Me

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (10/24/89)

I, too, have a Mega ST2 with TOS 1.4, and I run Neodesk 2.04 as an AUTO
application. I do not use UNITERM, but I am seeing some similar sorts of
things, I think, and in my comm program as well. Everything went okay in the
past week since the TOS 1.4 upgrade until yesterday, when I had *5* "random"
system crashes. This is a very rare problem in my experience.

One crash occured when I double-clicked HDUTIL.PRG 4.1.8 - the disk access
began, and whammo, address error. Three times I had address errors in Interlink
(one in the middle of a 200K GENIE download). But two of these were using the
buffer editor, and I have had that crash before). These three crashes were
followed by subsequent crashes on cold reboot (keyboard-invoked). It took
two cold reboots to get things running again.  The fifth crash was when
I tried to extract from a file archive. After reboot, it worked just fine.
Did I mention - these were all address errors!!!

I have two suspicions at this point - a hardware problem (oooh noooo!!!) or
maybe I am experiencing some residual effects of having set the "fast" bit in
just about everything I use. (That, in fact, is the first thing I am going to
do, unset the fast bit in Neodesk, Hdutils & Interlink. I don't think I set
it in arc, though I'll check.)

So, I would also like to know if any of the Atari folk have a suggestion!

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are those solely of the author,
            who has no pecuniary interest in the companies mentioned.

Copyright (c) 1989 by Andrew Cassino.
Permission for distribution on USENET hereby granted.

    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %