[comp.sys.atari.st] TT vs the 386

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (10/23/89)

One netter replies:

>You talk about the limitations of PC's, but you really mean those of MS-DOS.
>There are ways of making a 386 PC very useful; installing MS-DOS on it
>is not one of them.

Unfortunately, most users are not like netters and have enough trouble
dealing with DOS never mind systems like UNIX (one local 'expert' spent
3 days installing UNIX on his 386, what chance does the average basic user
have?). In addition, MOST software for PCs runs under DOS and UNIX users
use bridges to run DOS codes.

Netters, do not lose sight of the fact that you do not represent the majority
of computer users who (i) are intimidated by PCs (ii) cannot cope with DOS
and (iii) do not stand a chance in hell with UNIX. Telling the minimally
skilled user how to run one application is an uphill battle - telling him
how to move data across unrelated applications on a PC is a major challenge,
and asking him to handle UNIX on his own is not worth the effort.

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (10/25/89)

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:

>One netter (me) replies:

>>You talk about the limitations of PC's, but you really mean those of MS-DOS.
>>There are ways of making a 386 PC very useful; installing MS-DOS on it
>>is not one of them.

[ comments about the second statement deleted ]

I suppose my second statement was an opinion, that made
my first statement less clear, namely that PC != MS-DOS
--
Pim Zandbergen                                 internet : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                uucp     : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim