[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Lynx & Announcements vs. shippings

JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (Jouni Alkio) (10/24/89)

Would somebody, please, tell me something about the Atari Lynx? I don't
even know what it is.

I have seen an article saying that Atari has promised not to announce
new products before than 90 days before the beginning of shipping to
customers. (This should be the fact with the TT, too.) I hope they'll keep
their word. The TT has been announced in Germany, so it should be
shipping in about two months, I think. (First in Europe, perhaps.)

			Jouni Alkio

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (10/25/89)

JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (Jouni Alkio) writes:
>Would somebody, please, tell me something about the Atari Lynx? I don't
>even know what it is.

Lynx is a handheld game system.  It has a 2" color LCD screen, sound, a
joystick-like controller, and the ability to link multiple Lynxes
(hence the name, pronounced "links") for many people to play games with
or against each other.

It also has built-in hardware for such normally time-consuming
operations as multiplying and scaling of sprites (that is, changing the
size of a part of the picture).

It is similar in concept to Nintendo's Game Boy, but MUCH cooler:
besides the hardware assist for some operations, Lynx is in color, not
black and white, and you can only connect two Game Boys, while you can
connect 8 or more Lynxes together.

As for delivery dates for Lynx and TT, don't ask me: I just work here.
(I am in engineering, not production or marketing: I simply don't know
the answers to questions like "when will it ship?")