[comp.sys.atari.st] press release from Atari

4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) (10/23/89)

Taken from Z*net newswire, August 1989...

 "Atari Newswire Update

  Press release from Atari: To all Atari Owners:

  Premiering at the Dusseldorf Atari Fair, the TT, with the Motorola MC68030
processor, moves the ST family into the 32 bit realm, achieving a significant
increase in computing power with full TOS compatibility.  Our goal for the
TT was to design an expandable computer that would combine ST compatibility
with superior resolution, more computing power, and improved sound generating
abilities.  At the heart of the TT is a 16MHz MC68030 processor, which allows
a high degree of 68000 compatability, while operating at a higher clock
speed and providing streamlined internal operations which make it even faster.
The 68030 has built in 256 byte instruction and data caches, and an internal
Memory Management Unit.  Next to it on the board is a socket for an optional
math coprocessor (MC68881/MC68882).  Memory on the TT is a full 32 bits wide,
both the ST RAM which is shared by the video logic, and TT RAM which is not
shared.  These factors combine to result in a memory bandwidth that is four
times greater and program execution speeds up to 17 times faster than on the
ST.

  In both hardware and software, the TT is compatible with the ST.  All hard-
ware registers are in the same location as they are on the ST.  The ST video
modes work the same way on both TT and ST, because they are organized in
memory the same way on both machines.  Most important for ST compatability
is the operating system in the TT: TOS.  With TOS as the TT operating system,
existing programs can automatically use the improved resolutions of the new
video modes, as well as the larger colour palette, without any changing of
the software.  All this ST compatability has the obvious benefit of allowing
TT owners to take advantage of the large and growing base of ST software.

  In addition to the three ST video modes, the TT has two new colour video
modes available on it VGA monitor:  640 horizontal by 480 vertical resolution
with 16 colours, 320 horizontal by 480 vertical with 256 colours.  With a
high resolution monochrome monitor, a 1280 by 960 monochrome mode is available.
All the colour modes use a new, expanded 4096 colour palette which is also
available in the ST modes.  Even ST monochrome (640x400) is actually a two
colour mode on TT; we call it "duochrome."

  The improved sound system uses stereo 8-bit PCM (Pulse Code Modulation).
This allows the TT to function as a digital tape player.  The hardware also
includes an automatic variable low pass filter, a stereo balance control and
bass and treble tone controls.  This sound is mixed through the internal
speaker as well as being output via two RCA phono jacks located on the back
of the machine.  These features, combined with the high powered computing
capbilities of the 16 MHz 68030 allow the TT to produce a wide range of high
quality sounds.  In keeping with the design goal of expandability, the TT
has all of the ports familiar from the ST: MIDI, parallel, serial, and the
Atari ACSI DMA port (for Atari hard disks, laser printers or CD-ROM).  The
TT also includes a 25 pin SCSI port.  One of the four TT serial ports can be
configured as an industry standard medium speed SDLC network port.  Of course,
the machine also provides an internal speaker, a clock with battery backup,
and a Mega ST compatible keyboard with ports for mouse and joystick.

  In addition to the expansion capabilities provided by the TT's external
interfaces, the TT is expandable internally as well.  The housing can hold
an internal hard disk and add-in memory cards.  These memory cards allow the
standard 2 megabyte TT to be expanded to 8 megabytes, or as much as 26
megabytes when 4 Mbit DRAM chips become avaliable.

  Another example of internal expandability is the slot for a single standard
"Eurocard" style VME card.  This slot allows use of any of the large number
of existing VME expansion cards.  Some of the VME expansion options currently
available include memory expansion, Earthnet and other network boards,
coprocessors, graphics boards, and data aquisition (A/D and D/A converters).
Already planned for TT VME expansion are an Earthnet board for networking,
I/O port expansion, and graphic extensions.

  The work-station like capabilities of the TT will be complemented by an
optional industry standard operating system.  UNIX system V is being ported
for the TT.  Also available will be X windows as well as an X windows based
graphic user interface, giving TT owners all the benefit of UNIX without
all of the difficulties usually encountered.  Here is a listing of TT
specifications:

	+ ST compatible operating system, giving TT an extensive software
	  library

	+ ST compatible hardware, including all ST interface ports

	+ Three new graphics modes: 1280 x 640 pixels high resolution
	  monochrome, 640 x 480 pixels with 16 colours, and 320 x 480
	  pixels with 256 colours

	+ All colour graphics modes use an expanded 4096 colour palette

	+ 16 MHz Motorola MC 68030 processor

	+ Socket for optional MC68881/MC68882 math coprocessor

	+ DMA with built in SCSI and ASCI ports

	+ Two serial ports, expandable to four ports

	+ Parallel interface

	+ Detachable keyboard + Internal "Eurocard" VME socket (A24/D16)

	+ Internal hard disk option

	+ 8 bit stereo PCM sound

	+ 2 Mbytes RAM, expandable to 8 Mbytes (26 Mbytes with 4 Mb DRAM)

	+ Real time clock with battery backup

	+ Network capable hardware

  The Atari TT continues the Atari tradition of delivering Power Without
The Price!  We reserve the right to change technical specifications without
notice.  UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.

  August, 1989, Atari Corporation, 1196 Borregas Ave., Sunnyvale, CA 94086,
(408)745-2000"

  This article appears exactly as it was in Z*net, August 1989.
  The '....' indicator represents material omitted on Atari's release of
Rainbow TOS.  It is also availiable on request.
  All spelling errors are my own.

Andrew Semple                               ads@uwovax.uwo.ca
2nd Year Applied Math/Computer Science      Andrew.Semple@uwovax.uwo.ca
The University of Western Ontario           Semple@uwovax.BITNET
London, Ontario
Canada

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (10/25/89)

4224_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (Andrew Semple) writes:
>Taken from Z*net newswire, August 1989...
> "Atari Newswire Update
>  Press release from Atari: To all Atari Owners:

Boy, talk about getting the straight scoop!  All this information is
accurate and mostly complete: I couldn't find a single error or glaring
omission.  Consider this my personal stamp of approval on the
description of the TT contained in that press release.  (As my
signature states, I do not speak for Atari Corp., only for me.)