[comp.sys.atari.st] Printer questions

hedger@inmet (10/13/89)

Can someone out there give me the rundown on printers ?
I have ordered a Mega2 and will be using it to program some
MIDI applications and to do some word processing.
Does the ST use a standard printer interface ? What brands/models
of printers should I look at. What about the Atari laser printer ?
Any good ? Price ?
Also, if anyone has suggestions on good word processing software I would
appreciate it.
Thanks a lot,

| Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com |
|    'It is a sad, but beautiful world..........'                   |

wallace@oldtmr.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (10/17/89)

In article <30200003@inmet>, hedger@inmet writes...
>Does the ST use a standard printer interface ?

Yes. It uses the standard "Centronics Parallel Printer Interface".

---
Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (10/17/89)

|Does the ST use a standard printer interface ?

Yes! (But I don't recall which one at the moment...)

|What brands/models
|of printers should I look at. What about the Atari laser printer ?
|Any good ? Price ?

I don't know about the Atari laser printer... I have been using a Panasonic
KXP1124 24-pin dot matrix printer and it is a tremendous printer for the
price (ca. $300)... it has a ton of built-in fonts and excellent print
quality. However... I will ultimately upgrade to an HP DeskJet when $$$
are available!

|Also, if anyone has suggestions on good word processing software I would
|appreciate it.

I use FirstWord Plus. The main reason I use it is because it will use the
built fonts of my printer. There are (much) neater WP's available but
they use GDOS (or other) fonts, not the printer's built-in fonts. Thus, every
page is printed as a bitmap. This is just too slow for words on a dot
matrix printer. (IMHO - My opinion!). A laser printer (or the afore-mentioned
DeskJet) is very desirable if you want to use a GDOS-based WP.

Actually, First Word Plus isn't so bad, it's just not very whizzy. But
it is easy and intuitive to use.  Fine for letters, which is my big use.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are those solely
of the author, who has no pecuniary interest in the companies mentioned,
except for HP...

Copyright (c) 1989 by Andrew Cassino.  All rights reserved.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (10/17/89)

In article <1312@engage.enet.dec.com> wallace@oldtmr.dec.com (Ray Wallace) writes:
>In article <30200003@inmet>, hedger@inmet writes...
>>Does the ST use a standard printer interface ?
>
>Yes. It uses the standard "Centronics Parallel Printer Interface".

If the question referred to the software end of things, the "print screen"
desktop function (ALT-HELP, isn't it?) assumes an Epson-compatible.  Does
anyone know if there's a "sanctioned" way to make the ST assume otherwise?
Did the foolish Atari printer-control accessory (which didn't stay on my
boot-disk long) allow this?  I seem to recall it had options for something
along those lines...

(I have an Epson-compatible; I'm just curious...)

>>> "Aaiiyeeeee!  Death from above!" <<<  | Steve Rehrauer
    Fone: (508)256-6600 x6168             | Apollo Computer, a
    ARPA: rehrauer@apollo.hp.com          | division of Hewlett-Packard
"Look, Max: 'Pressurized cheese in a can'.  Even _WE_ wouldn't eat that!"

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) (10/25/89)

From article <46482ed3.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, by rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer):
> In article <1312@engage.enet.dec.com> wallace@oldtmr.dec.com (Ray Wallace) writes:
>>In article <30200003@inmet>, hedger@inmet writes...
>>>Does the ST use a standard printer interface ?
>>
>>Yes. It uses the standard "Centronics Parallel Printer Interface".
>
> If the question referred to the software end of things, the "print screen"
> desktop function (ALT-HELP, isn't it?) assumes an Epson-compatible.  Does
> anyone know if there's a "sanctioned" way to make the ST assume otherwise?
> Did the foolish Atari printer-control accessory (which didn't stay on my
> boot-disk long) allow this?  I seem to recall it had options for something
> along those lines...
>
> (I have an Epson-compatible; I'm just curious...)
  Excuse all the garbage, but this is the first time that I've
contributed to this net.  The answer to your question is yes, one can
substitute another driver for the default called up by Alt-Help.  In
fact Tom Hudson published his program to do just that in the first
issue of Start.  It steals the Alt-Help vector and allows the use of a
DEGAS printer driver (resident) instead.  In Start magazine #3 Hudson
also published a DEGAS printer driver creation program that allows for
the creation of a lot of drivers.  It might be tricky to use on laser
printers and almost certainly wouldn't work with the Atari laser.
Bob Pegram @uvm.edu

PS
Anybody ever figure out why Atari said the printer should be Epson
compatible, but it can only dump properly (correct linefeed size) when
in IBM graphics printer mode? (or do I have really strange early ROMs?)
RBPIII