[comp.sys.atari.st] Mac vs ST prices

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (10/23/89)

I have an 1040 at work and a Mega 2 at home. I also have been using Spectre
GCR for a month. Recently, two new employees joined my work group and they
asked for recommendations on micros to buy. After I gave them the following:

           System 1                   System 2
           --------                   --------
           Mega 2 + SM124              Mac SE with 4 meg RAM
             - 720K floppy              - 1.4 Meg floppy (reads DOS disks)
             - 60 meg HD                - 40 meg HD
             - Spectre GCR              - Appletalk
           --------------              ----------------
             CDN $4150                  CDN $4500

the only recommendation possible was go with the Mac; the ST + GCR has
absolutely no price advantage to speak of (STACY + GCR however, has a big
price advantage over the Mac portable).

The Mega 2 costs $800 more than a 1040, the Mega 4 costs almost $1500 more.
That's a $700 premium for 2 megs (the 1 -> 4 meg upgrade for the SE is $400)

I have quoted corporate prices which are VERY agressive for the Mac. I do
not know how street prices compare.

Without Appletalk and with little or no price difference (even without GCR
factored in) the ST is hard to sell to management here. Only the ST's very
large price difference from the Mac (in the past) got STs in the door. Now,
the door is closing as Mac pricing is dropped. I can buy a 1 meg Mac Plus for
$1285 and upgrade it to 4 megs for a total cost of $1685. A Mega 4 would
cost me about $700 more! Yikes!

I love my ST but the Mac option sure looks good.

JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (Jouni Alkio) (10/25/89)

In article <8910240704.AA05597@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:

> The Mega 2 costs $800 more than a 1040, the Mega 4 costs almost $1500 more.
> That's a $700 premium for 2 megs (the 1 -> 4 meg upgrade for the SE is $400)
>
> I have quoted corporate prices which are VERY agressive for the Mac. I do
> not know how street prices compare.
>
> Without Appletalk and with little or no price difference (even without GCR
> factored in) the ST is hard to sell to management here. Only the ST's very
> large price difference from the Mac (in the past) got STs in the door. Now,
> the door is closing as Mac pricing is dropped. I can buy a 1 meg Mac Plus for
> $1285 and upgrade it to 4 megs for a total cost of $1685. A Mega 4 would
> cost me about $700 more! Yikes!
>
> I love my ST but the Mac option sure looks good.

I don't like Mega ST pricing either. But you could as well upgrade your
Atari 1040ST to 4 megs. I guess it wouldn't cost you more than upgrading
a 1 MEG Mac to 4 MEG. It's only the memory chips that cost. Were the
prices for the ST-system street prices? If they were, the comparison
makes no sense. You should then have chosen street prices for the
Mac-system, too.

					Jouni Alkio