[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Word Perfect

bode@mead.UUCP (Bill Bodenstein) (09/08/89)

Howdy folks. I recently purchased WordPerfect for my 1040ST thinking I'd
then be able to finish any technical writing work at home, after writing
up documents with WordPerfect on the PC's here at work.  But apparently,
Atari WordPerfect is not compatible with IBM WordPerfect--It tells me
"Not Atari WP file" when I ask it to read in a doc file created on a
PC. Does anyone out there have a program to convert IBM WP <--> ATARI WP
formats??? Thanks in advance...
Bill Bodenstein        "Life's a       ||    Send mail to:
Mead Data Central       Bit-shift"     ||    uccba!mead!bode      -or-
Dayton, Ohio                           ||    uccba!ucqais!bbode

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (09/09/89)

In article <343@mead.UUCP| bode@mead.UUCP (Bill Bodenstein) writes:
|Howdy folks. I recently purchased WordPerfect for my 1040ST thinking I'd
|then be able to finish any technical writing work at home, after writing
|up documents with WordPerfect on the PC's here at work.  But apparently,
|Atari WordPerfect is not compatible with IBM WordPerfect--It tells me
|"Not Atari WP file" when I ask it to read in a doc file created on a
|PC. Does anyone out there have a program to convert IBM WP <--> ATARI WP
|formats??? Thanks in advance...
|--
|-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|Bill Bodenstein        "Life's a       ||    Send mail to:
|Mead Data Central       Bit-shift"     ||    uccba!mead!bode      -or-
|Dayton, Ohio                           ||    uccba!ucqais!bbode

Sorry Bill, but apparently WP Corp. idea of compatibility and
conversion is a bit weak! On the IBM side there is a
"conversion" utility - it strips out all the formatting to leave
a plain ascii file-- isn't that a &^%$#@!*&^%^%$ !

I've never been able to reach WP Corp on the phone to find a
better way. It should not be too difficult to write a conversion
program but as for myself I've completely given up on WP. Our
secretaries were forced to adopt WP on MAC+'s--- a lot of
crashes and cursing went on until they found an incompatibility
between TOPS and WP (some blame for both programs- cure = update
TOPS and turn off auto-file-save in WP).

I only considerd WP to speed up memos and letters; for TECHNICAL
writing I HIGHLY recommend LaTeX-- it is ABSOLUTELY super
	(PD ! sort of
	math typesetting
	book, article, memo, letter, report styles
	automatic labelling for future ref for equations,
	axioms,theorems, chapters, sections,.....tables, figures
	automatic list-of-figs, list-of-tables
	automatic table of contents
	semi-automatic index building
	bibliographic data base
	macros!
	....on and on ....)
It is available for IBM's, ST's, Amiga's, VAX, SUN, HP's.....
usually via PD but also in commercial packages.

pietrzak@solarium.CWRU.EDU (John Pietrzak) (09/09/89)

In article <2953@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.UUCP (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
>In article <343@mead.UUCP| bode@mead.UUCP (Bill Bodenstein) writes:
>|Howdy folks. I recently purchased WordPerfect for my 1040ST thinking I'd
>|then be able to finish any technical writing work at home, after writing
>|up documents with WordPerfect on the PC's here at work.  But apparently,
>|Atari WordPerfect is not compatible with IBM WordPerfect--It tells me
>|"Not Atari WP file" when I ask it to read in a doc file created on a
>|PC. Does anyone out there have a program to convert IBM WP <--> ATARI WP
>|formats??? Thanks in advance...
>|--
>|-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>|Bill Bodenstein        "Life's a       ||    Send mail to:
>|Mead Data Central       Bit-shift"     ||    uccba!mead!bode      -or-
>|Dayton, Ohio                           ||    uccba!ucqais!bbode
>
>Sorry Bill, but apparently WP Corp. idea of compatibility and
>conversion is a bit weak! On the IBM side there is a
>"conversion" utility - it strips out all the formatting to leave
>a plain ascii file-- isn't that a &^%$#@!*&^%^%$ !

(stuff deleted)

Are you using version 5.0 for the IBM, Bill?  If so, try saving the
document as a ver. 4.2 file and importing it.  Atari Wordperfect may
still say that the file was not created on an Atari, but it should
read it in fine.

By the way, I have found WP's help line to be very useful in the past. I
don't know why Mike had such trouble calling!

J. P.

The few, the proud, the MVACE's!   |||  (Watch this space for a mail address)

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (09/09/89)

In article <343@mead.UUCP> bode@mead.UUCP (Bill Bodenstein) writes:
>Howdy folks. I recently purchased WordPerfect for my 1040ST thinking I'd
>then be able to finish any technical writing work at home, after writing
>up documents with WordPerfect on the PC's here at work.  But apparently,
>Atari WordPerfect is not compatible with IBM WordPerfect--It tells me
>"Not Atari WP file" when I ask it to read in a doc file created on a
>PC. Does anyone out there have a program to convert IBM WP <--> ATARI WP
>formats??? Thanks in advance...

From what I know, you can transfer files between every version of WP
made, except for the Mac version.

What version are you using at work?  If I remember correctly, you must
have the corresponding version of WP for the IBM (which would be 4.1).
I think 5.0 was a big enough jump that it caused incompatibilities (the
graphics support most likely causes this).

Personally, I have yet to try it, but WP claims it DOES work.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Call the ACORN BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud     | 3) Coke Classic

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (09/09/89)

In article <2953@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.UUCP (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
>In article <343@mead.UUCP| bode@mead.UUCP (Bill Bodenstein) writes:
>|Howdy folks. I recently purchased WordPerfect for my 1040ST thinking I'd
>|then be able to finish any technical writing work at home, after writing
>|up documents with WordPerfect on the PC's here at work.  But apparently,
>|Atari WordPerfect is not compatible with IBM WordPerfect--It tells me
>|"Not Atari WP file" when I ask it to read in a doc file created on a
>|PC. Does anyone out there have a program to convert IBM WP <--> ATARI WP
>|formats??? Thanks in advance...
>
>Sorry Bill, but apparently WP Corp. idea of compatibility and
>conversion is a bit weak!

This is a bit simplistic.  The current version of WP on the PC is 5.0,
while the version on the ST corresponds to 4.2.  The PC will read ST
documents (just save them on an IBM-format disk if you have a 3-1/2"
drive on the PC), but going the other way doesn't work, at least for
some files.

I've gotten some of the text from the PC onto an ST, but since the ST
4.2 version doesn't support some of the 5.0 features, particularly
graphics, it doesn't know what to do with them.  This is hjardly
surprising -- when you add features to a program, they are only added to
the current version!

>I've never been able to reach WP Corp on the phone to find a better way.

That surprises me -- I call WP frequently -- they have lots of lines and
I always get through in one or two tries.  The lines are all 800
numbers, and they are one of the few US vendors with 800 numbers for
Canada.  We appreciate that!

I'm not crazy about WP, but what can you expect from software developed
for people who use IBM's?  The ST version is actually a lot nicer than
the PC version in my opinion.  None of the standard word-processing
packages seems decent for tech stuff, but I do find compatibility
between the PC and ST versions is adequate for my purposes.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (09/17/89)

I'll attest that MS-DOS and Atari Wp files are completely interchangable.

:-]

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

chad@norge.dec.com (Chad Leigh) (10/25/89)

Note concerning WP:

Recently I received a major upgrade to my atari WP.  This upgrade had to be
ordered and the cost was 10 or 15 dollars for the media and
shipping (several disks were involved).  The cover letter mentioned that
WP was still going to support the ST in the future.

I don't know if this is just marketing or not.
Take it as you will.

Chad