[comp.sys.atari.st] DEC RD53 hard disk on an ST?

MBERNAR@ERENJ.BITNET (Marcelino Bernardo) (10/24/89)

Has anyone connected the mech from a DEC RD53 hard disk to an ST?  The
mech which holds 30MB or so, is made by Quantum an I'm told that it is
ST-506 compatible.  It seems to me that these drives should be adaptable
to an ST using an ACSI-SCSI interface along with an Adaptek controller.
Right?

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards,
Marcelino Bernardo
mbernar@erenj.bitnet
bernardo@erevax.bitnet

gjh@otter.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (10/25/89)

Yep, if the mech has an ST506 interface, an appropriate controller (I got an
Omti) and the usual ST DMA->SCSI adaptor card will give a viable drive. The
Omti controller which I use is an RLL controller, small speed tradeoff for
greater storage space. I got my gear from an ICD kit supplier in the U.K.

Graham
======

Graham Higgins             	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Hewlett-Packard Labs    	|  gray@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gray%hplb.uucp@ukc.ac.uk
U.K.                          	|  gray@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com (10/25/89)

Marcelino Bernardo writes:

> Has anyone connected the mech from a DEC RD53 hard disk to an ST?  The
> mech which holds 30MB or so, is made by Quantum an I'm told that it is
> ST-506 compatible.  It seems to me that these drives should be adaptable
> to an ST using an ACSI-SCSI interface along with an Adaptek controller.
> Right?

Right.

I haven't done it, but I know people who have.

				- hbm
Henry B. Messenger                    henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
Digital Equipment Corporation isn't responsible for anything I say on Usenet
"And the down of a peach says mmh, yes."